Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Pipepro 350 with Cat engine recall/upgrade?

In mid December, I ordered two new Big Blue Pipepro 350's with the Cat turbo in them. My LWS said it would be 7-10 day delivery....that came and went. Upon investigation, my LWS told me that the delay was because of a recall/upgrade on them from Miller, something about not all full engine power was getting to welding/generator power. They didn't have very detailed information about it and I've been curious. Has anyone else herd anything about this or have more info on it?

Doesn't list a problem on the service memo's. There was a problem with a RPM sensor, perhaps thats what your LWS is talking about. wouldn't let the units start, or peroidically shut down.

Personally I wouldn't buy one with the little Cat. The Mit is significantly better.

Default Thats why i love this site!

You gotta love real world feedback. Nice to hear no BS comments on the products. If nobody states opinions nothing gets improved.
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Thanks for looking into that. I was pretty skeptical about the description my LWS gave me on the issue. In my own research of units around here, had guys telling me to choose the Cat over the Mits, either way, have herd nothing but great reviews on these machines! Is the Cat engine actually made by Cat or is it made by someone else like Perkins and then has Cat electronics and paint on it? We have a huge Cat dealership here that would make it easier to get parts or service, if possible.

i have herd that the mitsu is quite a bit louder than the cat has anyone been around both??

the cat is really just a perkins, you know that right?

That's kind of what I assumed. I know a few guys with Pro 300's that have Cat's in them and there identical to a Perkins. Kind of figured it would be the same with these units. I've never had a problem with a Perkins in any of my machines before

When i bought my pro 300 with the perkin it actually had a cat oil filter and fuel filter on it. Lol Pretty descent engine just not a huge fan of the cold weather but I can run all week on a tank of fuel so that ways our its cold nature. I have 2200 hours on this one and I had a lincoln 250d with a perkins with 4000 hours and another with 7,000 hours on it. At 7k it would butn a quart a week in oil the other perkins didn't burn any.
    Lincoln Vantage Kubota diesel 30 amp spool gun , Hobart 210 with spool gun, Thermal dynamic pak master 75, miller 304xmt all mobile all ready to go.