Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Question for the experts

I have a couple of questions concerning my TB.
    SN- LH015354.

I bought it brand new about 5 or 6 years ago and have 1620 hours on it. It's spent it's entire life in the back of my Pick Up always covered when not in use and looks like new. Oil changed every 100 hrs with synthetic.

The other day when I changed the oil and had it running with the hood up I noticed that the eng. seemed to shake quite a bit when it started, smooth once running, so I grabbed the oil fill spout on the valve cover and I can wiggle the engine up and down about a half an inch. Is this normal or do I need to replace the motor mounts?

I looked up the mounts on the parts list and couldn't make out for sure if they were 1 or 2 piece and what to order.

Also are there any other things I should check on the welder to make sure it runs another 5 or 6 years. As of now it runs and welds perfectly and had been a very good machine, just want to keep it that way.

I'm a retired diesel tractor mechanic so I think I can do about anything you suggest to keep it in top shape.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Where is everyone?
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

I don't know how much, but they are on rubber mounts so the motor will move a little.

Yep the mounts tend to wear out especially if there is spilled oil on them which disintegrates the rubber. Best to change them out.

Thanks. Is there anywhere online I can order the mounts, found them in the parts manual on Miller site but no where to order them. Hate to drive 80 miles.
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

I've probably run thru 20 or more engine drives over the years. Actually, lost count at this point. This would include Miller, Lincoln, and the original Hobarts (yes, I'm dating myself). Every one of them had the windings bolted solid to the crankcase, the armature solid to the crankshaft. Every one of them, you could wiggle the top lifting ring (attached to the windings) back and forth 2 or 3 inches. Even brand new. I think you are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Thanks JSFAB. I'll give it a little closer look when I get a chance.
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A