Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default What Running Bead Practice Looks Like

ChuckE2009 just posted a video called: StickWeld 250 Torture Test + Full Review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ssv_K8ZL4.

If you start viewing at 13 minutes and then the rest of the video you'll see what running bead practice looks like.

I'm a noob at this too and I thought I was doing good at practice time but I'm still working my way through a 10lb box of 1/8 7018. I've been burning other electrodes and wire too so I might have burned through this box by now if not for that. Not sure I could do a whole box in one sitting. :-) Going to have to look at adding machines with higher duty cycles to my collection I guess.
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

I'll go watch the video to see what your talkinga bout in a little bit..

When I first got my cst280 I hooked it up to 1ph 230v power. That meant my max output was 200amps @50%dc and 150 amps @100% duty cycle. I burned through 5# of 6011 and 7018. Didn't even the get fan to turn on! The other day I was DC TIG welding with it and was about 80% through a project with about 9 feet of TIGing. The fan turned on for about 10 seconds! I was glad to hear it. That meant that it actually works. Up until this point I wasn't sure! I was thinking about selling it to help towards an ac/dc tig machine but stuff in the 200amp inverter class just doesn't have the duty cycle that this thing does. So for now I'm keeping it for straight stick welding.
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    I was thinking about selling it to help towards an ac/dc tig machine but stuff in the 200amp inverter class just doesn't have the duty cycle that this thing does. So for now I'm keeping it for straight stick welding.
    I loved my CST 280 but I have NO regrets about selling it for my Dynasty 200.You'll definitely hear the fan more often with the Dynasty but I've yet to exceed the duty cycle. The only problem I've had is kicking breakers occasionally on 120v power... but that's usually because they are only 15 amp, not the machines fault by any means.

I'll stick with Miller, but thanks for the review ChuckE2009.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Quote Originally Posted by Thrutraffic View Post
    ChuckE2009 just posted a video called: StickWeld 250 Torture Test + Full Review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ssv_K8ZL4.

If you start viewing at 13 minutes and then the rest of the video you'll see what running bead practice looks like.

I'm a noob at this too and I thought I was doing good at practice time but I'm still working my way through a 10lb box of 1/8 7018. I've been burning other electrodes and wire too so I might have burned through this box by now if not for that. Not sure I could do a whole box in one sitting. :-) Going to have to look at adding machines with higher duty cycles to my collection I guess.
    The guy in the video is Lance. I am more impressed with him than the machine, but he did give it a nice workout.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800