Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding vs clamps

So, welding the exhaust system is better in trucks than using band clamps. welded tubing is stronger and durable. But what are the chances of having holes in the exhaust system?
    Your Performance solutions

http://4wheelonline.com/jeep/Jeep_Exhaust.48283]Jeep Exhausts[/url]

Default Welding vs clamps

I have not heard that before. What kind of trucks are you talking about? I have never seen exhaust welded on big trucks (class six and higher) the band clamps hold just fine. I personally do not weld unless other options couldn't accommodate.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

My jeep is welded together. That is a good thing because with my little 35" tire the exhaust takes a beating. I would have surely ripped the clamps apart by now. Now my 3/4 ton pickup it just clamped together. different application. It works great. I haven't had any issues from the turbo to the exhaust tip. Also, it is easy to change, modify or replace in my driveway.

So, moral of the story: application is important. If you can weld, you won't have holes in your exhaust. If your a hack welder, well then that is a completely different story...
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch (for sale)
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Clamps are better for several reasons. They're engineered for this use, so they're not going to break. Welding can make the tube weak &/or brittle. It's also difficult to weld all the way around, which is why you see stuff like this so often:

Clamps don't damage the pipe (except cheapo U-bolt clamps), so they can be easily serviced/repaired/replaced. And good clamps are reusable indefinitely. Do you want to carry a cutting torch & welding machine when you go wheeling? You can certainly carry a ratchet & sockets. Lastly: clamps allow for some flex, and that's GONNA happen. Even if you weren't talking about a beater Jeep, it still happens just from 15' of steel going from -10F to 300F.

But an even-better solution is welded flanges. Best of both worlds - the security of welds, with the ease of bolts.

...and they're CHEAP!

Funny you should ask, I keep a tb302 and 625 extreme in the jeep when I'm wheeling... NOT

A broken off muffler isn't exactly on the top of my concerned list when I'm out beating on my jeep. I really break something some jumper cables and a few rods and I can weld something back together. For my used welding my exhaust together works just fine. I wouldn't want to deal with it on a vehicle that sees different use. I don't have much exhaust to mess up on my jeep anyways...

Flanges can be a great option too if they are installed right.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch (for sale)
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

I was thinking flanges too. You ever see v band flanges?

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    You ever see v band flanges?
    The flanges are eggspensive, and so are the bands. Flat flanges can be homemade or bought premade, and work equally well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    You ever see v band flanges?
    The flanges are eggspensive, and so are the bands. Flat flanges can be homemade or bought premade, and work equally well.
    They don't work near as well, but yes they are cheaper. You pay a price for the quality just like everything else in the world.

There is a place for welded, many repais done this way and welded is often used when pieces want to rotate, just cant come loose like a clamp.

It's one of things where you can do it how ever you want, ain't gonna be a big deal.

I'd rather spend my extra time drinking beer than arguing over something like this

🍻🍻
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus