Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Bluestar 185, amps wont adjust

Maybe its common, and an easy fix (so I hope). I have a blue star 185, that runs great. Problem is that it welds wide open (180+ amps) all of the time. It will not adjust. I have tested the rheostat and it seems to check out fine. Should I just replace it? Any one have any ideas? Can I get one from an appliance store, or does it have to be from miller? Has anyone else had this problem? I'll post serial # when I get home tomorrow.
    Thanks
    Last edited by aaronobrien; 01-21-2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: not a 185... Miller Bluestar 6000

So... I actually have (2) of these machines with the same problem. And actually, they are not 185's. They are both Bluestar 6000 machines.

#1 serial# LE130118 stock# 903585
    #2 serial# LC533392 stock# 903584

Any and all help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by aaronobrien; 01-21-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Added info

I'm gonna try replacing the pc1 board this coming week.

Well, if anyone is following this, the problem ended up being the pc1 board. Miller wanted $4xx for a new board. I could get one from y supplier for $3xx. I found a guy in Miami that rebuilds them, he rebuilt it for $150!!!!! Got it back today, welder fired right up, and adjusted perfectly. All is well again. Im gonna send him the board for the other machine next week. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

Miller gives you the suggested retail price and will not sell to anyone but distributor. That's why when you bought it from the distributor it was cheaper.