Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Generator Again

Default Generator Again

I'm going to buy a generator soon, maybe tomorrow. I'm looking at the Ridgid 6800 with Idle control mainly to run my Dynasty 200 so I can go out for the odd things.

The generator will be in the back of a truck, but I am reading about grounding generators, ideas? if your leaving your gen set in the truck?

Also is this gen sufficient for the Dynasty, let me know. They say its clean power and I've heard good things about the Yamaha engine. Dynasty needs 5500 mininum I think.

Generac 7000 cost the same, soooo maybe.
    Last edited by Hardrock40; 01-19-2013 at 06:47 PM.

What's the price of generator ??? I would check craigs list for a used bobcat or trailerblazer. You would have another machine with many options. you could get
    a wire feeder and spoolgun for it too. I'm just trying to spend your money for another machine.

The generator will support the dynasty, but that is basically it. If I were you, I would look into getting something with a 50 amp output just because you can power your house as well.

When my power goes out, I plug my TB302 into my wall and I can run my entire house (not at same time... E hot water, E stove, [heat-oil], A/C....

This is just a case for you as buy just enough for now, or buy it for many uses.

I second buying a used TB or Bobcat. Cyberweld has a new bobcat 225 for $3,400. Just for reference.

The gen. is 1000 The cost of a used welder/generator starts around 2500. Well for what I can find around here. I guess with that cost I would buy an enclosed trailer to set up with the Dynasty instead of running it out of the truck.

Some great ideas, tho. I just can't spring for it right now. Just a generator has me on edge. LOL

How about that grounding issue? or is it an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    The gen. is 1000 The cost of a used welder/generator starts around 2500. Well for what I can find around here. I guess with that cost I would buy an enclosed trailer to set up with the Dynasty instead of running it out of the truck.

Some great ideas, tho. I just can't spring for it right now. Just a generator has me on edge. LOL

How about that grounding issue? or is it an issue?
    Grounding on the truck is really a Bonding issue not an Earth ground connection.

Ideally you would have a small strap of metal connecting the generator frame to the truck body. Example would be a power cord frayed and the live wire making contact with the truck body- now the fault has a path back to the source- the generator and will open the CB.

Without the bond strap the fault just stays in the truck body and if you happen to touch the truck you can become the path.

That being said you can use a gfi and that will offer way more protection.

Check out Denny's portable set up a nd choice. Of generator.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=199711
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thanks, I understand it better now. I'll make a ground.

Thanks for the link to post also. Thats exactly what I have in mind later on. Gona take some time tho.

I bought the Ridgid. Everything seems to be working fine on it. I ran the welder through the 220 twist lock and welded a little. The 110s are GFI on the gen.

Its a heavy beast. 245lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    Thanks, I understand it better now. I'll make a ground.

Thanks for the link to post also. Thats exactly what I have in mind later on. Gona take some time tho.

I bought the Ridgid. Everything seems to be working fine on it. I ran the welder through the 220 twist lock and welded a little. The 110s are GFI on the gen.

Its a heavy beast. 245lbs.
    Does the generator have a high idle switch on it ? I think if you use a Trailblazer as a power source for another welder you want it running balls out constantly. Just don't want you hurting your machine. Others may know for sure.

I ran my hobart 210 off of a troybilt 8000 watt generator about 5 years ago when I first started out and I burned up my genertor in less then 10 hours it would not generate power it would run but no power. Took it to the shop and it had burnt the copper windings out of it. The guy at the shop told me that if I wanted to weld off of a generator I would need a commerical grade machine. He suggested Generac I bought a 15k for $1800 used and ran it for around 50 hours till I could afford a engine drive machine. If you bought the ridgid new I would just save the recipt and if you have a failure take it back. As long as it doesn't fry your welding machine you won't be out anything.
    Lincoln Vantage Kubota diesel 30 amp spool gun , Hobart 210 with spool gun, Thermal dynamic pak master 75, miller 304xmt all mobile all ready to go.

From what I could research it should run the dynasty 200 ok. Ridgid has a 3 year warranty just in case.

My cousin has a bobcat on a trailer I can pick up with a days notice. I just don't like doing that but have several times. I need my own power for the quick job close by. If it's requiring a lot of stick, I'll ask for the bobcat anyway.

It does have the idle switch on it. It will idle down when not loaded or with the switch off it stays at max rpm. When I start the welder the gen kicks in and it looks like its going to stay at high rpm even tho the welder is just on and not being used.

One selling point was the low THD (whatever that is) supposed to be clean power for PC's and other sensitive electronics. I don't need much power in home but the occasional ice storm will knock it out. Then I would like to run the PC's and outdoor cameras, most of the other needs are gas and I'll just eat everything in the fridge. LOL

I get this stuff on the brain and want everything.

THD is total harmonic distortion.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch (for sale)
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...