Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pipeline

Hybrid View

Default pipeline

I want to become a pipeline welder and don't really have any information on it. Like what kind of certifications do I need and how to get into it?

Default pipeline

I wouldn't mind getting info as well !

Quote Originally Posted by skidder13 View Post
    I want to become a pipeline welder and don't really have any information on it. Like what kind of certifications do I need and how to get into it?
    If you dont know anything about it, how do you know you want to do it.

welding experience? any welding tickets? USA or Canada? to be honest if you have no welding experience or no tickets the apprenticeship route is the way to go. there is so much more to welding than just striking an arc and making money.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    there is so much more to welding than just striking an arc and making money.
    You have to also remember to put your helmet down before welding.

The best course I would say is to call local shops around and see about getting in as an apprentice.

lol very true Country Metals but i have see guys first had over in Asia welding with news paper for a face shield first hand so might not need a helmet per say.... not that i would recommend it in any way shape or form......
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches

Default pipeline

I have some welding experience! I work at a truck ship and am the main welder over there! I also go to school for power mechanics and fabrication! What I do know is it is all up hill verticals welding! Laying in a ditch all day everyday lots of traveling and everything has to be X-ray quality it is strenuous and I want to do it! Kinda a dream I guess and I am gunna chase it! I am 17 and graduate in 4and a half months! So much info needed thanks

are you in the states or up here in canada? that will make a huge difference on how you can go about getting your certs.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches

as for welding pipe on the line most times it will be done with 7010 (hippie) rod down hill... some is done with 7018 but main line for the most part it is not with 7018. as alot of pipe is welded with 7018 it is really moving to wire process now, at least around here (Alberta) even out in the field. with the movement to wire there is a whole different set of certs needed it also depends on procedures set but the company you would be working for also.... but a safe bet up here is once you are a journeyman welder you test for you B-pressure ticket with an f-4 electrode in the 6G position. after that go get whatever tickets needed to meet procedures needed. (this is Alberta only) for each province it is different and from what i remember it maybe a little different state to state also... alot of the tests are the same they just are called some thing different and awarded form different governing bodies.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches

[QUOTE=skidder13;300 Laying in a ditch all day [/QUOTE]

Mainline pipelines aren't built in a ditch, they are welded on skids on the bank.
    Tie-ins/test headers/ect ARE made in the ditch.

Anybody that fancies a life on the pipeline (in the United States of America) is best (by far) served to work as a welders helper and learn the terminology and what's expected of the welder.
    From there, the progression to welder is only hindered by your ability to weld to the requirements in the short time alloted.

So the real answer is, hire out as a helper. It's certainly not for everyone and first hand experience will reveal that to you.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.