Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I dont think there is much dispute that transformers will last longer then inverters. the question is whether inverters have a shelf life of 12 years regardless of use.

Obviously the more complicated a machine the more there is to go wrong.

While it IS TRUE that the more complicated a device is, the more likely it is to fail it is NOT true that we should jsut shrug our shoulders and accept things as they are. When you make a decision to either purchase or to NOT purchase a given device (car, welder, cell phone, blender,....whatever), you are, in effect, accepting the standards to which that device was manufactured. So, what happens is that if manufacturers find that standards for performance or durability are low (and the general population is dumb enough to accept low or no standards), then they will manufacture items to that standard. Consumers generally don't realize it, but they are the people that set the standards. If company RSTABC finds that their framistats don't sell because people don't want them, they iether stop making them (somethines technology passes things up..i.e ..buggy whips) or, if there is a emand for similar products with good durability and performance, they upgrade their product to meet the defacto standards. It is a basic truism in the (especially capitalistic) world that if you produce crap, you are likely to have your business fail or underperform badly.

So...DO YOUR RESEARCH and VOTE with you money!! In the long run that does work.
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
    So my concern is that the DX and CST have been a bad long term investment for me, choosing a lightweight portable option.
    So those of you with more knowledge on this matter, would you please chip in on this matter.
    Unfortunately I don't think you can get both and since you threw in the Light weight/portable parameter you didn't even have an option in the Transformer class machine so your only choice was the more expensive Inverter machines.

The good thing is that you did buy quality so iffin' you still feel the need for a long term investment and can live without the portability you could sell both those Inverters and purchase a Transformer based machine and then be all set for the long haul.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

WOW, I feel like I am listening to those "elected officials" over there in Washington.
    Talk about overcomplicating things......
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

Default Think this topic is B.S

I just bought a few year old dynasty 350 I still have a transformer machine but I hope it lastes a lot longer then everyone is talking about I could not see spending the money I did for a machine that will die in a few years I kinda think this whole topic is b.s what would happen if I bought a brand new in the box machine and never took it out of the box so if i waited 12 years then unboxed it would it work ???

we have Miller 304's at work. I think these are first generation used daily in the field. They are still running. Like a lot of shops, they don't see service until they are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesystem View Post
    I just bought a few year old dynasty 350 I still have a transformer machine but I hope it lastes a lot longer then everyone is talking about I could not see spending the money I did for a machine that will die in a few years I kinda think this whole topic is b.s what would happen if I bought a brand new in the box machine and never took it out of the box so if i waited 12 years then unboxed it would it work ???
    How about you go and buy 1 each of all the inverter machines that miller makes and leave them in boxes. Call me in 12 years and let me know which ones work and which ones broke...
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Add Content

I just can't see it only lasting 12 years I mean if it were new in the box 12 years down the road it should work the same as day one right from the factory I have a 38 year old transformer machine and works great but for a guy that welds a bit here and a bit there hobbie welders it should last longer then 12 years IMO

Quote Originally Posted by dondlhmn View Post
    While it IS TRUE that the more complicated a device is, the more likely it is to fail it is NOT true that we should jsut shrug our shoulders and accept things as they are. When you make a decision to either purchase or to NOT purchase a given device (car, welder, cell phone, blender,....whatever), you are, in effect, accepting the standards to which that device was manufactured. So, what happens is that if manufacturers find that standards for performance or durability are low (and the general population is dumb enough to accept low or no standards), then they will manufacture items to that standard. Consumers generally don't realize it, but they are the people that set the standards. If company RSTABC finds that their framistats don't sell because people don't want them, they iether stop making them (somethines technology passes things up..i.e ..buggy whips) or, if there is a emand for similar products with good durability and performance, they upgrade their product to meet the defacto standards. It is a basic truism in the (especially capitalistic) world that if you produce crap, you are likely to have your business fail or underperform badly.

So...DO YOUR RESEARCH and VOTE with you money!! In the long run that does work.
    This is the way things are headed. In a capitalistic economy products must be made, purchased and trashed for our economy to continue growing. If they made welders that lasted 50 years how would Miller stay in business? Everything in US is this way. Cell phones last much longer then 2 years yet the system is setup for us to get new phones every 2 years, and toss the old one. Look at how easy it is to lease brand new cars for 3 years at a time. It's rare to find cars more then 10 years old in major cities.