Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Miller CP302 diode troubles?

We have a miller cp302 3 phase welder at work best welder we got. I got a little electrician experience and am in charge of fixing the welder when something goes wrong. A few weeks ago it started welding funny like it was at a way colder voltage than we had it set at. I checked the diodes and found one that was bad. We replaced it today put it back up welded nearly a whole bumper up and it went straight back to doing it again. I have an ideal multimeter with a diode tester mode I just wonder if it puts out enough current to really test diodes this big. I thought about using a test light and a battery this next time to test them, would this work?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke87 View Post
    We have a miller cp302 3 phase welder at work best welder we got. I got a little electrician experience and am in charge of fixing the welder when something goes wrong. A few weeks ago it started welding funny like it was at a way colder voltage than we had it set at. I checked the diodes and found one that was bad. We replaced it today put it back up welded nearly a whole bumper up and it went straight back to doing it again. I have an ideal multimeter with a diode tester mode I just wonder if it puts out enough current to really test diodes this big. I thought about using a test light and a battery this next time to test them, would this work?
    In a 302 change both banks, guarrenteed if one diode is shot more are on thier way...

Only use a PROPER DIODE TESTER. Disconnect the pig tails and test them.

Alright gonna tear it back down tomorrow just blew my mind that it didn't take but an hour or 2 of welding to do it all over again. I took them all loose and out of the machine and checked them one by one with the diode test mode on my multimeter and there was only one showing bad that I replaced, thought I might be missing something. Its a pain taking it up and down since its up on the wall like to get it fixed right without taking it up and down 10 times.
    thanks