Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best 7018 rod on the market?

What's is the best 7018 rod money can buy???

ESAB ok 55 7018 i think that is what they where called man what a rod or i had a hellava day. but i use lincoln excalibur or blue shield there good, but i'll have to try the ESAB again.
    Last edited by weld007; 01-18-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Excaliber or Atom Arc In that order.
    Lincoln Vantage Kubota diesel 30 amp spool gun , Hobart 210 with spool gun, Thermal dynamic pak master 75, miller 304xmt all mobile all ready to go.

Default 7018 electrode

Quote Originally Posted by Gmmandan View Post
    Excaliber or Atom Arc In that order.
    atom arc by esab al the way. excalibur #2

Personally ill say air liquide's blue shield. I know that's what we use for 99%of pressure joints anyway. Personal preference really

Lincoln Excalibur is what our shop provides and all like it. We were using Hobart
    and then got some free Excalibur to try and that was all it took.

In my opinion, out of the ones I have used (Lincoln, Hobart, Randor, and one other that for the life of me I can't recall what it was at the moment) its the Lincoln Excalibur hands down. The reason I say that is because most of the time the slag is really quite effortless to remove, it **** near comes off by itself and sometimes it actually does come off by itself.

I haven't tried/used the ESAB version yet. Alot of people swear by it. But I just would not know about that one.

blue shield for sure then Excalibur. use to us esab in the shop but had way too many problems with these rods... (flux issues)
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

I agree with Excalibur then blue shield. It restrikes the easiest, best arc stability, easiest slag removal, and the least amount of splatter.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

I can tell you what it's not, lincoln 7018 AC. Welded with a mixed can of 7018ac and Excalibur. Same project, machine and settings. I could not understand why I could and couldn't see the puddle/slag differentiation at different times during the repair. The Excalibur had an easy to read puddle, the AC rod was a molten mess of slag.