Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default where are the good jobs

Where are the good welding jobs?? I got my diploma and that includes all positions and all processes. I even have a little aluminum and stainless steel experience. I have a job I like but I'm tired of standing in one spot all day doing little welds. I need a challenge. I want to weld on giant beams hanging in the air. I want the best challenging job I can find as a welder. Someone tell me the name of a company that does the good stuff.

give it about 20 years and you will wish you had that job back. I think there is a company here in FL called florida welding or steel fabricators. Lots of work and good beaches.

The biggest problem I have seen in the last few years is there's plenty of jobs out there, finding one that actually pays something that you can survive on is the biggest problem. Most places are still stuck in 1985 as far as pay goes. Get as many certs as you can, work on getting the 6g cert.

I'm looking for the big money is all. I figured its on a construction site building skyscrapers and all.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdavis229@yahoo.com View Post
    I'm looking for the big money is all. I figured its on a construction site building skyscrapers and all.
    Can you Pass X-Ray?

I'm on a shut down at Plant Bowen in north west GA, It's a union job out of United Association 72, Atlanta, GA. Best welding school in the south and top 5 ranked in the country. Lots of great challenging work and pretty good money for coming in with no experience, GREAT benefits. We also have a 18 week program for vets too, don't know details but its a good start.

Hello dudes!!! Well I'm from Spain and hereeverything is **** off about not only welding sector, many people are loosing their jobs as you know if you see international news in your countries. I've been welding for 17 years in mining sector manufacturing excavator buckets and all related with mining, up to 20 tons.
    Can somebody give me some info about my welding sector out of Spain? I'm thinking on moving out of Spain. Thanks a lot and excuse me for my English.

Well depending on your location, if you have a job it is a good thing. Sad right
    now how employers are kinda sticking to the working class. I sure hope it turns around soon for everyone especially the young people.
    I'm a retired union guy who can tell you, my local is taking good care of me.
    Good luck to all.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    ............... Sad right
    now how employers are kinda sticking to the working class...........
    Good luck to all.
    This is not directed at you BD1 - so please read this with a grain of salt. But I hope no one fools themselves into thinking that "the working class" is the only one getting it "stuck to". Although it's pretty comfortable for many to begin drawing lines in the sand when sheeeet hits the fan (bad economy)....I suppose I'd be then considered a "non working class" ( ? ) person as I graduated college with a degree in mechanical engineering and then went to night school for many years to get a masters degree in business....figuring that'd secure some stability for me from employment......however apparently I'm getting mistaken then for a 'the working class' type as I'm out of work and can't get any love from employers. I don't have a union to fold into for support and because I'm an independent contractor (not by choice - but because I can't get a W2 offer) have no government support in the form of unemployment - despite having paid into it in PA for the first 15 years of my working career....sorry for just venting a little here - but apparently after reviewing the same jobs I don't get any interest from in the form of response to my applications for a few hours each morning...I've got nothing but time on my hands to read forums.....

Until the dichotomy that exists in government disappears -and public servants truly become 'public servants' i.e. working in congress for minimal pay/vacations with limited terms allowable - the $ will continue to drive decision making with little to no concern for the economy with respect to the welfare of everyone that depends on it in this country.

going to get a beer now
    Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
    Millermatic 211 Auto/MVP