Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding Trailer Ideas

I am looking into building the ranch a new welding trailer. We are tired of loading and unloading all of the equipment all the time from barns or other trailers. Wondering if anyone out there has any cool ideas.
    I have a 5'x14' trailer. It is 4 years old and in great shape. It has 3000# axle. I was thinking of elevating the machine so we could slide pipe, ect underneath it. I also would like to build a work table on the back with vise and a place to mount my chop saw. I am beating myself up thinking the trailer is too long and I should trade it and buy like a 6' x 10' for space...I have a crossbed toolbox that I want to mount on the front of the trailer. Kinda curious what ideas yall might have, like for mounting the machine up off the floor, table, and mounting the bottles..cable storage racks..? ? Thanks !!!!

Use the search feature in the top right of this page and search for welding trailers or welding rigs. There are many posts here that may answer some of you questions. You may also want to consider a welding skid if you have a means of lifting it on and off the trailer(hoist, fork lift, front end loader etc.) That way you can still use the trailer for other purposes too, or load the skid on a truck if you want. Do a search for welding skids. You could also try weldingweb.com , lots of good ideas there too, they have a search feature there just like this one where you can find a bunch of threads on what you are looking for. If you use half of the ideas in these 2 sites you will need to add at least a couple more axles and 10-12 feet more to your trailer to accomodate them. Good luck and Happy reading for a few days while you catch up on what's already posted on this here and over there.

Thank you! I will take your advice. Trailer needs are not a problem and I would like to dedicate a trailer to welding. We do alot of welding and building on fences and livestock corrals. Thanks again !

If you are going to have a dedicated welding trailer, I would suggest building a rack over the top like you see on trucks, to carry your materials on. This would be easier than trying to elevate everything to slide material underneath and make it easier to select which piece you want next especially if using different sizes. Also would make carrying longer stock possible, overhang some front and back. Then you can carry 20' sticks of steel.
    Anyway, stay busy looking at all the ideas on the other threads and come back when you have narrowed down your choices as to what you THINK you want.

You got it ! Appreciate the thoughts again !

Default Trailer

Here is a picture of the trailer I put together. It's 6' x 10' with a 3" channel frame with a 10ga deck. The table on the back is 3/8 plate with a 3" channel frame under it. It has a 3500 lb axle, with a loaded weight of about 2700 lb. So far it has worked great, and the table has been a real backsaver!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ffbob101 View Post
    Here is a picture of the trailer I put together. It's 6' x 10' with a 3" channel frame with a 10ga deck. The table on the back is 3/8 plate with a 3" channel frame under it. It has a 3500 lb axle, with a loaded weight of about 2700 lb. So far it has worked great, and the table has been a real backsaver!!
    That's a nice looking little trailer you made Bob. Long Branch may still be wading thru all the threads I pointed him to. If he checks both web sites for ideas he will be busy for days looking at all the rigs members have posted. The other web site I mentioned has literally Hundreds of welding rigs(trucks & trailers), there is a lot more activity on that site too, things being added daily, hourly. If your trailer weighs in at 2700#s, he may have to upgrade his axle(@ 3000#s) to a higher capacity since his trailer is longer and most likely will approach or exceed 3000#s, or make it a tandem axle.

Quote Originally Posted by ffbob101 View Post
    That is a cool trailer, looks like it would be nice to work off of it. I would start with something like that and customize to your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBranchAg View Post
    We do alot of welding and building on fences and livestock corrals. Thanks again !
    If you do quite a bit of gates and fences, and your trailer length isn't a problem, I would put all the equipment in a line down the middle and place vertical racks on both sides for coral panels, raw material, and such. This way you can still use everything, and haul all your needs to the job site. The trailer would look weird, but very functional.

Awesome trailer! I have been seaching my mind and the site suggestions for more idea. I love the table on the back. That is a definite. I am starting to have doubts about using my exisitng trailer 5'x14'.... One, it has a wood floor... um, fire.. BUT, I can replace, then, I would have to upgrade axle for added weight... I like the 6'x10' metal flooring..Jan & Feb are slow months and I want to get this done before I get slammed with work...Thanks again guys..my brain will continue churning..