Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

turbo38t Guest

Default vertical clearance welding hood problem....need help.

hey guys my company is trying to get a new job. I need to find a very low profile welding helmet as far as overhead clearance is concerned. basically we have a ceiling at 6 feet high. 3.5 inches below that we have the top of a w12 beam. 3 inches in on top of the W 12 theme set the plans of a half inch thick 3 inch angle. a 4 inch 5/16 weld tired every 12 inches. the requirements is 3 passes with 7018 welding rod. I need suggestions for a low. Profile welding hood or parascope type helmet otherwise it is several union welders welding with mirrors for 60,000 feet of weld. Without a helmet on I can tilt my head back about 45 degre and see the the top of the fange where the 1f weld needs to be. Thx Dave

You can get a welding hood made from leather. It looks like a sandblast hood, but with a welding lens. I don't think you can get it with an auto-dark lens, though. Any LWS should have them.

http://store.cyberweld.com/tilewehe.html

This might work as it has a flip front.

Or maybe take the a/d lens out of a helmet & fashion a hand held plate just the right size to rest against the ceiling. Maybe even a bracket to clip onto the beam so you don't have to hold it..
    Last edited by MMW; 01-15-2013 at 05:42 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I have one of the fibermetal leather hoods for just this type of situation. I bought a 2x4 a/d lens to put in it. Have to stuff my head into tight areas of service rig draw works and running gear all the time. Works great!

http://www.google.com/patents/US6119266

You need this. How will you get the rod in at the correct angle?

Quote Originally Posted by go2building View Post
    http://www.google.com/patents/US6119266

You need this. How will you get the rod in at the correct angle?
    There really is no correct angle on jobs like this. You get it in as best you can, Sometimes you cut the rods into smaller pcs. & weld a little at a time or if you get lucky you can get it to burn good at a bad angle. You can also bend the rod & weld as far as you can until haveing to stop & bend it again.

To bad you can't use wire. A mig gun would most likely fit right in there.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24