Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default welding alloy 20

My customer has a few parts that need to be welded. They are Alloy 20 and I am wondering if anybody has any experience with this material. I usually weld their valve bodies and flanges which are stainless 316 alloy. I think I should be using stainless 320 filler metal, but not surevalve body.jpg

Default welding alloy 20

Quote Originally Posted by bababouy View Post
    My customer has a few parts that need to be welded. They are Alloy 20 and I am wondering if anybody has any experience with this material. I usually weld their valve bodies and flanges which are stainless 316 alloy. I think I should be using stainless 320 filler metal, but not surevalve body.jpg

I don't have experience welding alloy 20, but I do have experience in asking google 'welding alloy 20'....see link below from Carpenter, who should have more detailed data.
    For this kind of deal you really need the customer to specify weld process and procedure for everybody's backside protection.

http://www.cartech.com/techarticles.aspx?id=1830

'Fully austenitic, highly alloyed grades like Type 310 (25Cr-20Ni), Type 330 (18.5Cr-35Ni-1.25Si) and 20Cb-3 stainless require special considerations to avoid hot cracking. Since ferrite is not an option, welding consumables should contain low residuals including sulfur, phosphorus and silicon. For that reason, a special low-residual filler metal, E/ER320LR (20Cb-3LR) was developed by Carpenter specifically for 20Cb-3 stainless.'

Quote Originally Posted by dave powelson View Post
    I don't have experience welding alloy 20, but I do have experience in asking google 'welding alloy 20'....see link below from Carpenter, who should have more detailed data.
    For this kind of deal you really need the customer to specify weld process and procedure for everybody's backside protection.

http://www.cartech.com/techarticles.aspx?id=1830

'Fully austenitic, highly alloyed grades like Type 310 (25Cr-20Ni), Type 330 (18.5Cr-35Ni-1.25Si) and 20Cb-3 stainless require special considerations to avoid hot cracking. Since ferrite is not an option, welding consumables should contain low residuals including sulfur, phosphorus and silicon. For that reason, a special low-residual filler metal, E/ER320LR (20Cb-3LR) was developed by Carpenter specifically for 20Cb-3 stainless.'
    I originally googled alloy 20 and found what I needed as far as what wire to use. I was asking if anyone had any experience welding with this material and if there were any things that I should know ahead of time. Thanks for posting your research.

Cool

I welded it years ago putting flanges onto 3" and 4" Carp 20 pipe. It welded just like Stainless, nothing different...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Thanks Bob, I assumed that it welded the same, I just wanted to make sure. Last year the same customer had the same valve bodys made out of titanium. So I asked around and decided that I had finallly gained enough knowledge that I would go ahead and try it. No biggie just make sure there is plenty of argon around the weld. Now I do the titanium valve bodies like they are stainless.