Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How much welding experience do you have? Have you ever built a trailer for over the road? What type of welding machine are you going to use? Are you capable of making code quality welds or is this a learning experience for you?
    Sorry for the third degree with all the questions, but someone needs to ask since you are new here. This might help get some of your questions answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    How much welding experience do you have? Have you ever built a trailer for over the road? What type of welding machine are you going to use? Are you capable of making code quality welds or is this a learning experience for you?
    Sorry for the third degree with all the questions, but someone needs to ask since you are new here. This might help get some of your questions answered.

I have been welding for 15 years. structural mig tig stick......all metals. the welding the easy part. I am feeling more confident since I will be running the tounge down the sides of most of the trailer.

Those materials most likely will work. I would go with the 2x3 on the tongue for sure. One possible issue is the thin wall tube. It's probably going to rust from inside and there isn't much there. That will lead to failure at the joints eventually. It's better to get C-channel for the frame with a thicker web. That makes it easier to prevent rust and less likely to have a "tear".

If you are planning cross country trips I would get some stronger materials and save the tube for another project.