Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Tungsten Sharpening! Any POINTers?

having a problem with a mechinized tig welder. The welder run a 5ft long weld on 321 .016 stainless. It has an AVC (automatic voltage control)so it keeps a set voltage while welding. The problem here lately is the it keeps sticking the tungsten after welding a short distance.
    Could it possibly be that the tungsten was being ground to a sharp point? Resulting in the point falling off after welding a short distance, the AVC reacting to the voltage change and dipping(sticking)in the part?
    It may just be a motor worn out or something else. Simple things first. I didn't see the tungsten before hand. could that be a cause?

My guess...and just to make this clear, I've NEVER ran a TIG "robot". But I'd check the collate body/collate. It could be as simple as one of those are warn out causing the tungsten to fall out. Or it could be something in the programming causing the tungsten to dip down into the puddle. It's not the way you sharpen it. When you weld stainless you want a sharp point.

Also it could be your "stick-out". You can try sliding the tungsten up further into the torch. There's several possibilities. That's a tough one man. Hope I helped.

I thought you alwys wanted a flat(.005-.010) on the end of the taper. Welding really thin stuff (.016) tungsten prep makes a big difference. Just didn't know if the fall off of a sharp point was possible cause.I will check collet. Thanks for the input

You'll want that tungsten as sharp as you can make it when welding light gauge material unless your on AC. It keeps the arc controlled. Definitely check the torch for worn parts.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Default Corey

Also keep in mind that the size of tungsten u use matters if u using to small tungsten for the heat you r using it will melt off

I guess I should have read it all before I answered . But I have had a problem with the point melting off one time because of the tungsten size . 1/16 tungsten would work great for me on short welds at let's say 150 amps but when I do a long period of weld which I do a lot wear I work the point would melt off

150 Amps is the maximum a 1/16" tungsten can handle on DC. 3/32" is ideal for 150-250 Amps. If your pushing the limits that hard it will burn the tip off a 1/16" and I could see your machine trying to maintain the volts and dipping the tungsten.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    I thought you alwys wanted a flat(.005-.010) on the end of the taper. Welding really thin stuff (.016) tungsten prep makes a big difference. Just didn't know if the fall off of a sharp point was possible cause.I will check collet. Thanks for the input
    Zach, with AVC you will want a small blunt on the tungsten so the AVC will be more constant, check your collet and ground connections as well, all we run are automatics with AVC. The Tungsten geometry plays a major role in automatic welding, the sharper the point the more focused penetration, the more blunt tends to "spread" your puddle and has less penetration. Try adjusting your AVC up
    a couple of points as well.

I have tried a few different grinds(Turbo 4 grinder) on the 1/16 thoriated tungsten. The best i have found without changing the welder settings is 30* grind with a .005 flat at the most. Tungsten i sharpened with the same degree*, with a point, stuck shortly after establishing arc. 30*, .005 resulted in the smallest possible weld width while still getting full penetration. The blunter the grind and .005 to .010 flat, wider more deformered weld,harder to initiated arc, more than enough penetration, and no arc control(arc constently wondering). Although hand welding, for me , better when using a blunt tip .040 thoriated, .005 flat or less. Thanks for all the help. I tried all the ideas you gave me. The proper prep of tungsten and it welds flawlessly.simple stuff first.