Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yes...creativity is a welders best friend. I'm trying not to go too crazy since I won't be using it daily.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Sounds like you'll need a engine drive with decent length leads, oxy-acetylene rig, engine driven air-compressor and a handful of hand tools. A few 115v extension cords to run drills, grinders, and lights off the engine drive. If you have lots of cash maybe a suitcase wirefeeder or a HF box.
    Quote Originally Posted by GemCityJake View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. And thanks for that link. I don't have a ton of cash to drop to start off with. But I can build towards it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Millright52 View Post
    Yeah , sometimes when strapped for cash we have to get creative, remember that they're are many things you can build for your rig. That's how I'm gettin started.
    Elvis is right on all those things, and if your strapped for cash and want to get creative. Go out on a pipeline job somewhere, find a guy busy running a bead, knock him in the head, roll up the leads, and leave in his rig. You will have most all the stuff right there to get started immediately. Then all you need to do is clean it up and repaint it so no one will recognize it and your all set. Lots cheaper than what rezeppa suggested, just don't get caught with it and park it in the back yard or closed in a garage when not in use.

Never mind, scratch that idea, you may end up hurt trying to do that. Most of those pipeline guys can be pretty tuff and hard headed and end up stuffing you into the pipeline and welding it closed behind you. Then we will have lost a new forum member, mysteriously.

You can't go too far wrong doing a little "market research". What I mean is to (1) Talk to someone doing that sort of work if you can find anyone and ask what they use or DON'T USE and/or wish they had. (2) Talk to your target customers and find out what kind of welding there is a demand for. (3) After doing (1) and (2) try to figure out what sorts of jobs YOU will do and what kind of equipment will give you the best return. You can NOT have a tool or a machine for everything and you might as well start out with the stuff that you will use most and that will maximize your "bang for the bucks spent". I guess what I am saying is that you will do best matching the tools to the jobs you will be doing.
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Are you serious? Cuz I'm missing the humor...

Quote Originally Posted by dondlhmn View Post
    You can't go too far wrong doing a little "market research". What I mean is to (1) Talk to someone doing that sort of work if you can find anyone and ask what they use or DON'T USE and/or wish they had. (2) Talk to your target customers and find out what kind of welding there is a demand for. (3) After doing (1) and (2) try to figure out what sorts of jobs YOU will do and what kind of equipment will give you the best return. You can NOT have a tool or a machine for everything and you might as well start out with the stuff that you will use most and that will maximize your "bang for the bucks spent". I guess what I am saying is that you will do best matching the tools to the jobs you will be doing.
    Yes...that makes sense. Like I've said before...I'm a full time welder but I've always worked in shops. So I've never had to purchase anything of my own. So I figured I'd get some input on here first. Thank you for the advice.

Buy a used engine drive with leads and a grinder. That will start you out I bought a ranger 8 as my first machine engine drive till I made some money and got a new bobcat then a trailblazer then the pro 300. When I first started out I had my ran my ranger out of the back of my truck with a dewalt grinder that I borrowed from my dad. Everytime I got paid I bought one tool a grinder, tub of rods, cutting wheels grinding wheels, extra leads, mig machine, spool gun, a trailer, It is alot easier to get it one piece at a time .
    Lincoln Vantage Kubota diesel 30 amp spool gun , Hobart 210 with spool gun, Thermal dynamic pak master 75, miller 304xmt all mobile all ready to go.

Default welding rig ideas?

Ok so seriously with more information. Do you have a truck? If so just do as previously stated. It is not extremely difficult to set up a general farm repair rig with a 6" grinder and a 225amp engine drive welder and start small. Then go for a cutting rig and air. Once you get Air and a torch set then a few comealongs. Maybe a class 6 truck is over kill and a 825 air compressed might be a little bit more air than you would need. There is another option if your on an extremely tight budget look into a portable inverter like a Maxstar 150 or 200. And build from there. i know a lot of people that have invested a lot of money and not made a return on it so be practical. I don't know what your situation is power wise by the work your going to be performing. I have made almost as much money with my Maxstar than grabbing a full service truck with a TB300D torch set up and the who nine yards.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Something I forgot in my first post with real information... Don't forget rod... You'll need a good selection for different tasks. Plus you'll need a good way to store it and transport it without chipping flux. If you plan to add a wire feeder, hf tig, or plasma make sure that you plan it out so that you have consumable and wire storage.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch (for sale)
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

post 14 says it all, simple is good. I dont have every gadget on my service truck, simple stick welding and torch.