Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fuses??

So I finally got around to replacing the fan and repairing/replacing the traces with 22ga solid core and nice clean solder points.

Still nothing... No fan, no wire, no gas... Nothing.
    - I have (confirmed) 240v coming into welder
    - The board has 120v in several locations
    - I checked both poles on the main switch and they checked out OK (I have 240v model)
    - Checked the GFI style breaker on the back and its OK (obviously if board has power too)
    - no other visual irregularities on the board to my knowledge, but most electrical failures cannot be visually checked.

I will do a search for the diagram and try to track down the weak link, but I figured I would post up anyways. Anyone have a link to the 240v model diagram?

Other thoughts?

Did you check to see if you had 230 volts to the fan motor on the 2 black wires?
    Kevin Schuh
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

I will check that tonight and post back up. Where do the two black wires going to the fan motor originate from? If these do not have 230v, what are the potential failure points between the 230v main power into the case and the black wires at the fan besides the main switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Kevin View Post
    Did you check to see if you had 230 volts to the fan motor on the 2 black wires?

The 2 black leads are fed from the control board, RC1 pins 1 and 5. If the switch is good the only other thing that could interupt the power is an open trace on the board itself.
    Kevin Schuh
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Okay thanks! I checked the two traces resistance that I fixed and found no problems after, but before the fix they showed no connection. I will follow the other traces with the multimeter and see if I cant find something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Kevin View Post
    The 2 black leads are fed from the control board, RC1 pins 1 and 5. If the switch is good the only other thing that could interupt the power is an open trace on the board itself.

Okay so checked the voltage to the fan...
    - First black wire to ground is 120v.
    - Second black wire to ground is 120v.
    - Zero across the two black but I expect that is normal as they are both positive. Correct?
    - Checked the fan resistance again and got 45.6 ohm across black and 5.4 ohm across white.

So if the fan gets 230v why dies it still not function? I assume the two white wires power the fan? Thoughts from here?

Quote Originally Posted by blue devil View Post
    Okay thanks! I checked the two traces resistance that I fixed and found no problems after, but before the fix they showed no connection. I will follow the other traces with the multimeter and see if I cant find something else.

OK, we don't test to ground (chassis) generally and not in this case....

Black to black (thats the fan circuit), power switch on should be 230vac

White to white ( control voltage) power switch on must be 24Vac

There are NO positive/ neg circuits in AC Voltage
    Last edited by cruizer; 03-28-2013 at 05:49 PM.

On your traces you fried, make sure that RC1-1 goes to RC1-4 and RC3-12

And RC1-5 goes throgh to RC3-7