Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmac View Post
    You know i planned on building a cart and table, but since I am having a hard time. I was telling my gf of 13 years I better just buy a cheap cart. So I think I am going to jump on that. Thing is I have a mm211 and a 125 cu ft tank will it hold the tank and all?
    Yes, a 125 will work nicely with that cart. It's as big as I want to have to move around.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Did you check your polarity connections per manual ???? Sold wire with shielding gas connect to positive [+] output terminal. Just thought I would mention, sometimes in a moment of passion to may miss things.
    Make sure you have a GOOD GROUND, try grounding directly on work piece

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Did you check your polarity connections per manual ???? Sold wire with shielding gas connect to positive [+] output terminal. Just thought I would mention, sometimes in a moment of passion to may miss things.
    Make sure you have a GOOD GROUND, try grounding directly on work piece
    Ya I did take a look at that. It was right for sheilding gas, or for solid wire. And ya only way I had was to have the ground clamp right on the workpiece. I need a welding table BADLY!

    TY

    Pat M

    It was just my bad welding being brand new and kinda nervous at first in a horrible bent over poisition. There isnt any other way to get the gas flow right other than the gauges and the knob on the gauges, besides opening the valve of course?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,837

    Default

    Buy the cart-

    Get the Table up to a comfortable height

    A piece of plywood on some sawhorses and a piece of sheet metal will do for now, you are not banging on the table.

    Once you get everything comfortable then you'll improve to the point of being able to build a proper welding table and whatever else you need/want to build.


    Right now you are trying to hammer a nail behind your back and wondering why the nail went in crooked
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Buy the cart-

    Get the Table up to a comfortable height

    A piece of plywood on some sawhorses and a piece of sheet metal will do for now, you are not banging on the table.

    Once you get everything comfortable then you'll improve to the point of being able to build a proper welding table and whatever else you need/want to build.


    Right now you are trying to hammer a nail behind your back and wondering why the nail went in crooked
    Sounds good, I have a nice sturdy set of metal saw horses and wood I just need to get a piece of sheetmetal. You should have seen how bad the setup was. I will get a cart asap it was so diffacult the position like i said i was practicly bent in half with my head down by my waist. And just everything was all out of place my pliers clamps everything it was just an ugly experience so I will take that advice. Not sure where to get the sheet metal. I guess they should have something that would work at one of the big box stores. I never had to really buy metal before. So finding out where to get it is still a little tough for me. But that sounds like a good way to go. I needed a higher table then the makeshift one i was trying to use.

    I mean honestly with wood, i can make factory looking cuts on sheets of plywood etc, with a circular saw, jig saw, sawzall even. I figured I would at least be able to have a steady hand. So ya, I will just buy the cart and the halogen light setup.


    Thanks Broccoli

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    596

    Default

    One more consideration is to open the valve on the tank FULLY. Turn it until it stops. This may not be part of the problem but if valve is not backseated, fully opened, it may leak gas and empty your tank without you knowing. ONLY fuel gas is partially opened.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    One more consideration is to open the valve on the tank FULLY. Turn it until it stops. This may not be part of the problem but if valve is not backseated, fully opened, it may leak gas and empty your tank without you knowing. ONLY fuel gas is partially opened.
    I am pretty sure i did, but i may not have opened it all the way til it stops I will make sure next time i weld some, hopefully today or tomorrow.

    TY!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmac View Post
    Sounds good, I have a nice sturdy set of metal saw horses and wood I just need to get a piece of sheetmetal. You should have seen how bad the setup was. I will get a cart asap it was so diffacult the position like i said i was practicly bent in half with my head down by my waist. And just everything was all out of place my pliers clamps everything it was just an ugly experience so I will take that advice. Not sure where to get the sheet metal. I guess they should have something that would work at one of the big box stores. I never had to really buy metal before. So finding out where to get it is still a little tough for me. But that sounds like a good way to go. I needed a higher table then the makeshift one i was trying to use.

    I mean honestly with wood, i can make factory looking cuts on sheets of plywood etc, with a circular saw, jig saw, sawzall even. I figured I would at least be able to have a steady hand. So ya, I will just buy the cart and the halogen light setup.


    Thanks Broccoli
    psst you live in Pittsburgh

    don't buy from the Box store- you'll get killed on price.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    WY...armpit of U.S.A.
    Posts
    659

    Default

    If you are looking for sheet metal, drag out your Yellow Pages and call up a couple of heating and air shops near you to find one that brake up their own ductwork. They'll be able to cut and form a suitable top for you cheaply. When I was installing my bench tops I had 10 ft. sections formed to fit the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WyoRoy View Post
    If you are looking for sheet metal, drag out your Yellow Pages and call up a couple of heating and air shops near you to find one that brake up their own ductwork. They'll be able to cut and form a suitable top for you cheaply. When I was installing my bench tops I had 10 ft. sections formed to fit the top.

    Ahhhh Cool! That looks good. Do you just have that formed around wood? Would be able to put the ground clamp on that and then clamp my work piece down to the metal?

    That would be much cheaper and I have lots of wood. That looks like it would work great til I can weld good enough to make a full welding table. all out of steel.

    There was a guy on craigslist selling them I think they are called Little Giant carts for 85 bucks. They have like a 5000Lb capacity. I was going to get one or two cause they seemed cheap enough and pretty sure they sell for around 350-400 bucks they are in great shape. I was figuring I could just add a spot to the back of one to hold the tank. And just use that for my welder it has two shelves. I will see if he still has them listed. They looked in really good shape. They were blue even to match the Miller welder.


    Here is the ad, if you were me would you get one or two of these. I figure if i was going to get two of them I would offer him 150.00 or 160.00


    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bfs/3528426454.html
    Last edited by pmac; 01-15-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 74

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.