Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Mig welding is proving to be a bit tricky for me never welding before.

Well I finally been able to fire up the new MM211. I have to say its a little tricky. I been watching instructional videos and reading books. But, I guess nothing can teach you to weld like actual welding time.

I am curious if anyone has some good videos or how to vids. I have watched many. I read the info on the miller owners club information. I did watch alot of the welding tips and tricks, and alot of others. I think I might have to take a class or classes. Thing is I am going to be moving soon and not sure exactly what county I am going to end up in.

I would appreciate any pointers. I saw one series of two videos mig and advanced mig welding from what looks like a welding instructer he said take two pieces of round stock so that way its easier to get used to the heat managment and not having to worry as much of a steady hand. He said you can almost ride the nozzle on the top since your welding kind of down in the middle of the two round pieces. I am not sure if i am explaining that right, but it did seem to make some sense.

Also the auto adjust helmet I got. Its a lincoln was on sale for 160 originally like 185.00 seems like a nice helmet has 4 sensors, but let me ask for mig welding How dark does it need to be its 9-13? when I fired my first kind of weld man that thing blacked out I thought i blew the power. I was like wtf then realised its the auto adjust. I think I have it set to sensative and to dark cause I am having a really hard time seeing it at all. I think its the lincoln viking, I can get the exact name but seems like a nice helmet. I didnt get one with graphics its just black. It did come with some stickers but I didnt put any on. Cause since I got a miller I would have prefered I went with a miller helmet so anyhow thats why I just leave it black.

Thanks In advance this forum and site has been really helpful.

Pat M AKA PMAC

Do yourseld a favor and go out and purchase a cheap halogen light tower from one of the big box stores and have it focused on the welding area. The light will have you seeing your weld puddle in no time. Once you have the light, you can work on technique.

Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Hey Pat!

Glad you got some burn time on the new welder. I vary the shade of my hood depending on what process and amperage I'm welding. If I start seeing spots I darken up the shade a bit. I try to keep the lens as light as possible so I can see everything going on.

In the past when I got a new welder or was learning a different process I would just get a big scrap (but relatively clean) piece of plate. 1/4" or 1/8" and then start putting beads across the metal until i was happy. Once I was happy I would start gluing metal together. TAke some pictures of your welds and post them up here and we can give some better advice. Also, when do that give some details like: voltage, wfs, wire size, wire type, gas or no gas (and what kind), and metal size and thickness.

Are you using the autoset feature? I am not a fan of that way to setup the voltage and wfs. Have you spent a good deal of time running beads? I get out to the shop to weld at every chance I get. It helps to keep me sharp.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Also, light is key! Get as much light onto your workpiece as you can. It will help to see the puddle and learn to control it.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

I have the same hood. I set it between 10 and 12 but never below 10. When I am welding with a mig, I like to get my face as close to the weld as I can, about 12-16 inches away. You want to set the hood so that all you can see is the area where the weld is taking place.The darkness that you experience in the hood will become second nature to you once you become more experienced. Make sure you are breathing while you are welding and the most important part is to be relaxed and patient.

Default Mig welding is proving to be a bit tricky for me never welding before.

Like elvis said, adjust your hood so you can see and not so much that you see spots. I'm 47 years old and use shade 9 to 10, works for me. Sensitivity doesn't change how dark it goes.
    As far as a bright light, that only helps seeing before you strike your arc. lol. Welding arc is very bright.
    If you have Vision problems in General don't be too Embarrassed to use cheater lenses or reading glasses under the hood

You might update your user CP with your location. you may be able to find a local guy that can show you the ropes (a lot easier for someone who knows to find faults in your set up that you will fight for a long time until you figure out).

Default Thank YOU!

Ya I can see the Light set up. I will get one asap. Like the one posted with the two lights.

I really appreciate all the info. Ya I will start just running beads on a piece of metal

I was using 1/8 metal and wire speed was 60 voltage on 6 to high end of 6 I tried a few different speeds for the wire. It seemed the wire was comming out a bit fast so i did turn it down a notch.

I will also update my profile I am in Pittsburgh, PA. God I would really appreciate some instruction. It would be like a dream come true.

I really appreciate all the info you guys have given me, I mean honestly I can't even begin to tell you how helpful everyone has been.

I am also glad I got the good American Made Millermatic 211. It was a little more than i thought i wanted to spend but it is an awesome machine for me so far.

I am embarressed to show the welds I have tried so far. Looks like a dam monkey did it.

Also thanks to the reply about the helmet. It was wild, first weld it blacked out I thought All the lights went out I was like WTH I blew a breaker. Then after the weld it was bright again, I realised what was going on. I did get some nice metal off a guy off craigslist for 45 bucks he hooked me up with lots of different sizes and types like square tube. flat piece I didnt want to waste the square tubing cause it would be enough to make a cart, but I am so far from making a cart. I am actually considering just buying one. But I suppose in time I will get the hang of it.

Thanks again to all of you! I really really appreciate it!

Ohh and I was using the .30 hobart wire that came with the mm211 on 1/8 metal. With 75/25 argon/co2 at a hair above 20 on the gauge.

Pat M
    Last edited by pmac; 01-13-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Pat,

Glad you got to fire it up. Post the pictures - it'll help everyone's feedback - and it IS a journey. To do it right and do it well - and takes time. I have a long road ahead as a noob but thanks to this forum it's a little smoother. Any meathead can buy a machine and melt something together - but to to get it correctly fused, structurally sound and looking respectable......that's craftsmanship.

Post some pics.....

j
    Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
    Millermatic 211 Auto/MVP

Hey Pat-

Another thing that might help. Before you drop your hood and actually weld, do a couple dry runs to make sure everything lines up. While your practicing watch your stickout and your tip control. I would assume you are learning in the flat position. I like to travel with circles or cursive e's when I'm in the flat position. It is important to be relaxed before you start welding.

Have you familiarized yourself with the machine? Do you have any questions about gas flow, machine setup, wire size/type?

Also, i just built a welding table. I have no idea why I didn't do that years ago. What an awesome addition to my shop!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA