Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default garage Elevator Man lift project

I would like to build a man lift/elevator with a 1000lbs capacity.

I have been looking for a used palette lift but haven't seen one locally for over a year. Shipping is cost prohibitive.

The attic opening is 4x6' and the total lift height needs to be 9'

The platform should also fold to save space when not in use.

I was thinking of hydraulic or worm gear type or even a winch with pulleys.

Open to suggestions!

What size/type and thickness of steel should I use?

Thanks

Eric

Anytime a post starts with:

"I'd like to build a XXXX".

And ends with:

"What style/type and thickness of steel".

You know this, the poster has no buisness building "XXXX". Either get someone else to do the job, or educate yourself to the point that you don't have to ask kindergarden level questions. That way nobody will likely get hurt. At your present level of understanding you are a disaster just a waiting to happen.

Or buy a used scissor lift.

Either way you need to gain a significant amount of knowledge before embarking, and asking what type of material isn't educating yourself. Price check liability insurance for the work you're contemplating and you'll have maybe an idea what might be involved.

JT
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

JT is correct.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

FYI - Most winches are not designed for a vertical pull/load holding. I Definately would not go that route....

"You know this, the poster has no buisness building "XXXX". Either get someone else to do the job, or educate yourself to the point that you don't have to ask kindergarden level questions"

Thought I would ask the "experts"; if you don't know the answer no need to ridicule me a mere mortal.

Liability insurance?? Will be used at home for my purposes by myself only. Oh yah I don't live in the USA where everybody is lawyered up and looking for an easy pay day.

Would I build this for someone else or for money? No as I don't want someone using the lift above capacity or incorrectly and getting injured.

I can build whatever I want at home and utilize it as I see fit and nobody can tell me otherwise including you!

Thanks 4 nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    "You know this, the poster has no buisness building "XXXX". Either get someone else to do the job, or educate yourself to the point that you don't have to ask kindergarden level questions"

Thought I would ask the "experts"; if you don't know the answer no need to ridicule me a mere mortal.

Liability insurance?? Will be used at home for my purposes by myself only. Oh yah I don't live in the USA where everybody is lawyered up and looking for an easy pay day.

Would I build this for someone else or for money? No as I don't want someone using the lift above capacity or incorrectly and getting injured.

I can build whatever I want at home and utilize it as I see fit and nobody can tell me otherwise including you!

Thanks 4 nothing
    1) Dont come to an AMERICAN website hosted by an AMERICAN company and bash AMERICA because it will get you no where fast.

2) Wherever this will be installed, used by you and you only does not make it safe. You will not own that building forever - no one ever has and no one ever will. There is always the potential for someone else to get hurt because of someones stupidity.

3) You build whatever you want at home and utilize it as you see fit - I have a feeling no one here will tell you any different on how to use it or build it.

1) If you can't tell the difference between Country bashing and hard facts ; http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/06/10/05/how-many-lawsuits-are-there-in-the-us--amp-what-are-they-for-an-amazing-overview.htm
    Then I feel sorry for you

2) you have a point and you are right

3) Big loss! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post

Thanks 4 nothing

Well I really do know the answer, but the fact that you asked it means you are in way over your head. And if you actually read my post, I didn't ridicule anyone.

Of course you can, I never said otherwise, I suggested you educate yourself beforehand and I'll stand by that.

You're welcome.

JT
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Might want to goggle ''homemade elevator.'' Pictures of the area would help including ceiling area. It sounds like you are asking a lot as far as folding goes.
    Might be cheaper to buy a gantry or copy one for what you require and use a electric chainfall. Your 1000 pound capacity may get used up quick depending on the platform construction. How much do you actually want to lift ? Can the attic hold the weight ??

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Wallace...try&FORM=R5FD7

BD1;

Thanks for the advice and link.

I have a ballpark of 1000lbs to lift;

This includes platform, myself (250lbs), blower, tiller, blade etc about 400lbs.

Yes the attic has rough cut 2x8 joists 12" OC.

Largest unsupported span is 15 feet.

Will store heavy items over partition/supporting wall