Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Respect on the Forum

Just want to remind everyone that although it is perfectly fine to disagree and voice your disagreements, we ask that it be done in a respectful way without personally attacking or using profanity toward other forum members or their ideas.

Full forum terms of use are here http://www.millerwelds.com/about/terms.html

We appreciate the diverse opinions on this forum and all those who participate.

Thanks,
    Miller Welding Forum Administrator

I guess to people who were raised playing soccer where they don't keep score and everybody get's a "participant/winner" medal the facts of any situation can appear harsh.

But when you make welds and build things can can damage property or start the bleeding there are no "participant" awards.

You can find an endless stream of folks on the interwebs that'll give you a "yea! yea! you can do it!"
    You can also find (if you look) people who'll give you real world advise based on experience.

I'm old enought that I played sports when they kept score and somebody had to lose, so forgive me for not being as touchy feely as you're wanting but it is what it is. Some folks are very thin skinned and are just looking for an injustice or personal attack where none exist.

But I'll stand by my comment that you need to gain considerable knowledge (not on internet forums) if you expect to build a working, troublefree, safe manlift in your garage.
    When you jump into the world of critical welds, the consequences can be harsh.

If you don't confuse the presentation of facts with "being mean", life will go smoother.

JT
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

I'll agree to some of what you say but, I can tell someone they look like a f' ing idiot or I don't think what they are wearing fits the occasion...in a nice way
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I'll agree to some of what you say but, I can tell someone they look like a f' ing idiot or I don't think what they are wearing fits the occasion...in a nice way

How do you get from "you need to get educated and not ask kindergarten level questions before you build this thing" to "you're a f'ing idiot"?

That is happening in your mind. Don't read into my posts. I'm fairly simple, I mean what I say in a literal sense, and I don't try to put any coating (good or bad) on it. That just leads to confusion in my world. The guy doesn't need a lot of confusion if he's building a man lift, he needs cold hard facts and the knowledge to successfully implement those facts.

And I don't give two hoots about other peoples wardrobe decisions vs "the occasion".

I didn't say anything in a "not nice way". Men in this country are being brought up in a very feminized fashion by single Mothers. That's why Dads were invented, to raise men who don't shrivle at the slightest sign of criticism be it right, wrong or indifferent.

J

I am not reading anything into your posts. I don't even know which are yours and I don't care. What I am saying is people can say things in a nicer way. Don't hide behind the pretense you give a **** about them if they do something stupid and hurt themselves. You don't care. I don't like it when people hide behind that for an excuse to be a rude ass.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Don't hide behind the pretense you give a **** about them if they do something stupid and hurt themselves.

Unless you're psychic skills see thru time, YOU have no idea what I do, where I do it or who I do it for. You have absolutely no idea what care I might have for my fellow man's well being or the steps I've taken in that area.
    I certainly won't post them here so you can continue to fabricate whatever truth you want to believe. Good grief that's a wierd hobby.

You, monte555, know nothing about me and probably should stop trying to be the miss cleo of the internet.

Or go ahead. But you are 100% wrong on all counts.

I've built and modified a few man/material lifts over the years and recognize what I see.

Again, sorry (not) if the facts disrupt your touchy feely kumbayaa world view. Gravity always works as they say. And I've seen dead men crushed under a relatively small load as an apprentice, that made an impression on my young self that carries thru today.

J

On edit I'll add that I hide behind NOTHING. Feel free to contact me, I'll give you my physical address, phone number, whatever you want. I've never hidden from anything in my life.
    John McCracken
    Last edited by JTMcC; 01-21-2013 at 03:42 PM.

I'm not saying you were the rude one. I was speaking openly to everyone. No, I do not know how you are and what you care about as well I do not know about the others here. But I do know what I read and how to take it. I have never built an elevator but I know what is involved and how to make it safe. Just because you have worked on a couple and maybe have seen someone hurt doesn't make everyone else stupid.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

and what the he!! is cleo of the internet?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Nowhere did I call anybody stupid, work on your reading comprehension .

I'll leave it with your words because this pretty much says it all:

I have never built an elevator but I know what is involved and how to make it safe.

Not trying to keep this going but the OP was somewhat rude too, as was my second response. But I can say that I was man enough to send him an apology, and Im sure he will vouch for that....Sorry to any I offended....Lets get back to welding