Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default garage Elevator Man lift project

Will revise if it makes easier (regulation wise)
    Will not use as a man lift

Use 10 gauge plate,1x1 angle iron 1/8 will be heavy enough.And just tack it all together.If you don,t feel comfortable with your welds use 1/4-20 bolts.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

I wonder if this will turn into another, I want to build, you tell me how with knowing nothing and I will get it right first time threads.

Oh wait, it already did.

Now, if you want help, we would need to know things like where it will be built, height of building, accessibility, welding knowledge, tools, lifting direction (push/pull), how often you will use it, what it will really be carrying, can you count past 10 with your shoes on... and things like that.

Some of you guys have been very rude. If you do not want to help and just be an ass...stay out of it. Do you want this to be another SFT
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

A buddy of mine made a similar type set up for his bro. who was in a car accident and is now in a wheel chair.He made a elevator type set up to get from main level in house open door to garage roll on to ramp, push a button and it lowered him down to garage floor level where he just rolled off. It was a very cool but yet simple and effective system I want to say just some mild steel plate, some angle a couple of pullyes mounted to a shaft driven by a motor wich was activated by a garage door opener switch.

It still works to this day, I know the purpose is a bit different but the theory is the same, go for it hope this helps u some.

I was actually (jokenly) thinking of putting an elevator in my new house since I have a full basement now. It would just be a northern tool hoist (or air hoist) mounted to basement floor, pulleys to move cable appropriately, with angle framed carriage. Just add some tube to sides and vertical mount channels as guides. Would probably do air because if power failed, it will still go down.

Wife didn't like the idea until I told her she wouldn't have to carry laundry downstairs anymore.

And I don't think people are being rude. I understand that this isn't a table or mailbox or whatever, this is something people will be on and helpless if it fails due to a kid laying on it, or whatever.

If people are going to ride on this it should have some kind of automatic braking device to stop it in the event of a component or power failure. As well, if it is not fully enclosed in an elevator shaft with an automatic locking door on both levels it should also incorporate a self-closing door in the upper floor as well as some foolproof sensing device to activate the automatic braking system so you don't have your wife, the over curious neighbor kid or the family pet looking like the Wicked Witch of the West from the wizard of Oz. That is flat from having this platform inadvertently descend on them. Be safe, please.
    Meltedmetal

Default garage Elevator Man lift project

Monte55; thanks for noticing!!

Glad I posted this on a Tractor Forum where welding professionals, engineers and freight lift elevator builders by trade can give well intentioned helpful advice.

For others that are willing to help thank you for the advice!

for those that ARE being f*+€#g a$$e$...

Turn the page as I nor anyone else care to hear your unproductive belittling banter

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Anytime a post starts with:

"I'd like to build a XXXX".

And ends with:

"What style/type and thickness of steel".

You know this, the poster has no buisness building "XXXX". Either get someone else to do the job, or educate yourself to the point that you don't have to ask kindergarden level questions. That way nobody will likely get hurt. At your present level of understanding you are a disaster just a waiting to happen.
    Your reply to the post in question was not only insulting but also very
    negative, perhaps you should be in politics.
    Last edited by R W; 01-21-2013 at 01:28 AM.

I think the JTMcC had a good point. It might have been harsh but it is true. Whenever I have started a project with those questions I quickly learn I shouldn't be doing it. So I go out and learn like crazy. I learn from the internet, from people in my community, and from professionals with experience. I check out what is working and then I restart the project. All of a sudden things make sense and the level of my questions goes way up. Instead of asking someone to design and cut everything for me free of charge so that I can glue it together with a little mig welder, I am calculating max sheer forces of hardware or tweaking designed to maximize strength while minimizing weight.

People haven't been all sweet and cuddly like our culture seems to think we should be. That is okay! In the end ericher will have a better system from this, I hope. Now get the F@#$ over it and start learning.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...