Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question More advanced documentation for Dynasty welders?

I recently upgraded from a Diversion 165 to a Dynasty 200 DX - primarily for its pulse capability. Of course I also got a WHOLE LOT of other tweak and adjustment capabilities. The owner's manual tells me HOW to adjust various parameters but does not tell me much about the interrelation between the setting. For example...

If I adjust the shielding gas pre-flow in the "Advanced Functions" menu it seems like it effects the operation when I am operating the machine in "manual" mode with a foot pedal rather than a programmed welding scenario operated with an on/off push button.

On the other hand, if I change the tungsten size selection does that change the startup performance if I am using a foot pedal for amperage control?

Perhaps someone from Miller can chime in if there is some "engineering" documentation available for this welder.

TIA,

Ken

Maybe you should do a reset to default settings and start over. I had to do it a couple of times when I messed it up beyond my ability to comprehend the results.

And if you think the 200 is complicated, try a 350.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Thanks shovelon,

I am aware of how to reset the machine. And I have done it a couple of times. What I am after is to sort out which parameters are adjustable when using the machine with a remote amperage control vs. which parameters only function if I use a start/stop welding program. At least that is my task at the moment.

I am aware that the 350 has some additional "tweaks" available. I know from personal experience that the independently settable EP and EN currents on AC override the "max" amperage set on the panel. I was covering for an instructor at a local community college who was in the hospital. We had one 350 in the lab. A student was evaporating 1/8" tungstens trying to weld aluminum. He had the max amps set to 120 and the balance set to 30% EP. A 1/16" tungsten could carry that current. I downloaded the manual that evening and did a reboot the next day. The machine behaved fine. The following day, same settings, tap the foot pedal and poof - the tungsten was gone. Seems that someone in the evening class was dorking around with the settings and had the EP current set to 350 amps!

Ken

Have you read the "sticky" about setting up a Dynasty at the top of this page?
    Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
    My own shop since 1981
    Cya Frank

Thanks Frank865!

I generally start by selecting Quick Links and then Today's Posts. I had not looked at the top of the forum for years. I will spend some time going through the 19 pages of posts in the sticky and see what pearls I can find.

Ken

I have scanned through about a third of the sticky. I have seen a couple of good tips but hardly a substitute for good documentation. In the starting post ASKANDY from Miller states
    There also have been a lot of requests for a Dynasty book. Even though this is a GREAT idea and has been looked at, our resources at this time are too thin to take on this exhausting task.
    While I can sympathize with him to some extent, from the customer's point of view I guess I would translate this to "We are going to sell you a $4,000 - $14,000+ welder with a zillion features but don't ask us to give you more than the most rudimentary documentation." Had I come across the sticky thread first it would have given me pause before purchasing the Dynasty. End of rant.

To get back on a positive note... Does anyone know of any good generic textbooks about inverter TIG welders? I looked at the AWS web site but their bookstore search seemed only to search the standards. If I can learn WHAT parameters I want for a particular situation, I can figure out HOW to establish those parameters in the Dynasty.

TIA,

Ken

I just use the quick reference guide as... well a guide and experiment from there.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/DynastyQuickRef.pdf

Maybe you'll have to write us a book and sell it for a nice profit, it would seem there is a demand for it.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Thanks c wagner,

I do have the laminated quick reference card which came with the machine. In fact I just finished marking up the pictures (of a Dynasty 350) to block out the panel lights which I do not have on the 200. The manual also has some 350 carry over which I am crossing out as I come across it.

Since Miller will not write the answers in the documentation, I am submitting my questions a couple at a time through their support web page. When (if) I collect a volume of answers I will write them up and add them to the sticky thread.

And as to the bizarre thing I learned today... If you change the waveform on AC
    To save changes and exit, press torch trigger or turn power off.
    I am not sure if it will save the changes if you just go on to set another parameter. I will have to test that. Strange!

Ken

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thanks Broccoli1,

I have seen some of those videos but not all of them. I will watch or rewatch all of them.

Ken

p.s. Actually I have seen the first one which in fact contains all of the other ones. It is included on a DVD with the machine. I did not recognize the individual video names at first glance. Decent BASIC info but it does not go into the more advanced programming features.
    Last edited by taylorkh; 01-11-2013 at 03:47 PM.