Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Used engine drive question

Ok, so I am looking to add an engine driven welder/generator to my shop... Looking for something used, and with a decent sized genny to run the house for a power outage. Looking on craigslist, there is a fairly rough looking Bobcat 225Plus with ~600hrs , and a halfway decent looking Lincoln Ranger 10,000 with unknown hours... I havent called about either one, and they are in my budget of under 1500. I have welded with a bunch of TB's and Bobcats, and am happy with their performance. Never ran a Ranger before. Pros/ Cons of either one? Most of the welding I do is general fab and pipe work, so either machine will burn rod just fine for me.
    *Forgot to add--
    Im looking for more information along the lines of serviceability/parts and the quality of the genny in the Lincoln. I'm fairly sure either machine will work, and if either one breaks they are not a source of lost income for work. Just another project!
    Last edited by DetroitRob; 01-08-2013 at 03:58 PM.

What engines do they have on them , overall apperance ie have they been taking care of, maintance history/ parts replace, fleet machines/ independently owned machines. Those are usually what I base my decision on buying as far as the ranger vs bobcat. I would prob get the bobcat I have had 4 ranger 8s and have had more problems with the switchs and arc sensors going bad with relativly low hours on them.
    Lincoln Vantage Kubota diesel 30 amp spool gun , Hobart 210 with spool gun, Thermal dynamic pak master 75, miller 304xmt all mobile all ready to go.