Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Noob electrodes stick to work hard to start

Hey all,

I am a beginner welder, and have started buying different electrodes seeing which one I like and what suits my needs. I've been using 3/32 6011, 1/8 7014, and 1/8 7018. The 6011's I've bought have been really hard to start the arc with. They will not arc and when I get close and start scratching they will arc and stick the the work. I've turned up the amperage and the head is easier to start but I will blow a hole in the metal pretty quickly too....the 7014 have been really easy to work with. They maintain and start arcs very well. But the welds don't look very good and have a tendency to be porous and I have to do multiple passes to get something good. The 7018's have similar problems as the 6011 as in the are very hard to start and maintain a good arc. They stick to the work quite often when trying to start the arc. I have noticed a slag build up on the tip of these rods and chipping it off at the start has helped a little, but not much. Just threw a bunch of info at you. Any help at all would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

What type of current are you using and what polarity? (AC/DC) (EP/EN)
    Last edited by Dipsomaniac; 01-08-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Too many P's and N's

Using DC with electrode positive.

What kind of welder are you using?

Causes for porosity can be one or more of the following:

Damp Electrode, Workpiece is dirty or incompatible material, Arc length too long.

I have only seen slag build up on electrodes for one of two reasons. Bad flux and improper welding technique.

Look at this link from this very web site. It might help you out.

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/guidelines_smaw.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-satx View Post
    When I get close and start scratching they will arc and stick the the work.
    I think that's why they call it "Stick Welding"!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

I'm using an old century manufacturing AC/DC machine 230/140. Too long of an arc length does make sense on the porosity. And so does the bad welding technique. I've read that you have to get these 7018 rods hot in an oven or something? They are dry and at room temp...is this enough? Thanks for the replies. That site has a lot of good info. Thanks for the tip. Anything on the sticking of the rods? Hopefully that's not all there is to it lol

My old man had an AC/DC Century with a TIG box attached to it and that is how I learned how to weld. I am so glad that I have moved on to the bigger "toys"...

C.L.A.M.S. I suspect that either your electrode angle is incorrect or you are playing around on some flat stock and allowing the material to build up because of improper movement or speed.

Take a look at this link for more about C.L.A.M.S..
    http://www.millerwelds.com/education...rticles16.html

Default Noob electrodes stick to work hard to start

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/
    They have some great vids and advice, check it out.
    Take a welding corse at a local county collage would help. You need someone, who knows welding, to watch you weld to se what your doing or not doing.
    Kevin

Thanks for the links guys. I think the welding course is a good idea too. I really just trying to figure it out for myself right now. And yep this welder is my old mans too. Thinking about getting a newer welder. Do the run better...or any advantages?

Default sticking 6011

Try some 1/8 - 6011. 3/32 is prone to sticking particularly in the second 1/2 of the rod. My .02.
    Meltedmetal