Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Welder Generator

Hello

Let me start by saying that I know almost nothing about welders/welding. I was asked by company to pick up a welder for our maintenance guy. We are a small oil distribution company and have a fleet of trucks to maintain. After some research and a few phone call, I picked up the Millermatic 252 200/230V.

I am having trouble finding a generator for this machine. Everything i find is for 240V and I was told this would not work with my machine. I have a budget of $1000 allocated for the generator. I would appreciate any suggestions the community has to offer.

Thanks

Default Welder Generator

You won't find new at that price. Engine drive welder would have been a better choice.

Maybe you should have asked your maintenance guy cause the 252 won't work on properly on a Generator, and you'd ned a pretty large one to run it even if it did.

Complete waste of money.

A engine driven welder would have been a much better choice. Perhaps a Bobcat for around the yard maintainance.

Thanks for the responses. I have not used this Welder yet, so i am going to get the 252 returned.

Any suggestions on a welder for some minor truck repairs? I need something that is going to be able to be run on a generator with similiar capabilities to the 252.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by phayne View Post
    Hello

Let me start by saying that I know almost nothing about welders/welding. I was asked by company to pick up a welder for our maintenance guy. We are a small oil distribution company and have a fleet of trucks to maintain. After some research and a few phone call, I picked up the Millermatic 252 200/230V.

I am having trouble finding a generator for this machine. Everything i find is for 240V and I was told this would not work with my machine. I have a budget of $1000 allocated for the generator. I would appreciate any suggestions the community has to offer.

Thanks
    The 230v will work on 240v- pretty much the same

Look in the manual for where the tap should be for 230v- I believe the machine comes with it set up for 230v.

Now that that is cleared up - as others have mentioned it is not a Voltage question/problem you have it is a generator SIZE/wattage problem.

Big enough generator will run the MM252 but one big enough is going to some $$

You need a 12,000 watt continuous rated generator that provides clean power.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thanks for the responses. I have not used this Welder yet, so i am going to get the 252 returned.

Any suggestions on a welder for some minor truck repairs? I need something that is going to be able to be run on a generator with similiar capabilities to the 252.

Thanks again
    Why does it need to run off a generator? Are you planning on doing field repairs on the trucks?

What type of Minor repairs are you talking about?

What type of trucks?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Why does it need to run off a generator? Are you planning on doing field repairs on the trucks?

What type of Minor repairs are you talking about?

What type of trucks?
    1. We will occaisonally have to do repairs in our lot, where i won't have access to a wall outlet.

2. Most of the repairs that will need the welder will be to our liftgates, exhaust sytems, pump racks and other miscellaneous items.

3. The trucks are a mix of box trucks and tanker trucks. The box trucks all have pump racks built into them, that need reinforcing from time to time.

Need something like a Miller Bobcat and a VS wire feeder. All round light fab setup. Good for maintenance and repair applications. good for doing outside applications.

Inside a shop I'd go for a Lincoln 350MP. OR a miller XMT 350 and S70 feeder

Why don't you get a heavy extension cord for the 252? I don't know how big your lot your referring to is. Does the welder need to be a mig?

Hello

Thanks
    While doing your "Research" did you ever ask your maintenance guy what his recommendations for a welder would be? Since he will be the primary user, it would have made sense to get his opinion about this. But an engine drive is definately what will be needed in this instance, instead of a strictly electric rig. The Bobcat 225 or 250 are good suggestions along with the wire feeder if MIG is needed too. The stick capabilities of the Bobcat will probably fill most of your needs to repair the trucks W/O the wire feeder though. You will also most likely need a truck or trailer dedicated to haul the welding rig around along with all the necessary tools to go along with it.
    During your research it would also have been a ggod idea to come on here to ask opinions about this before purchasing the 252, but since it hasn't been used yet then no foul on returning it.