Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Welding in a drip pan

I'm welding the inside seem of a 2x3' drip pan. I'm having a really hard time with the angles. Any suggestions?

No one can answer you properly unless you provide better info
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by torched43 View Post
    i'm welding the inside seem of a 2x3' drip pan. I'm having a really hard time with the angles. Any suggestions?
    yes.

Default Welding in a drip pan

The pan is one eighth inch to a quarter inch thick stainless steel plate. It is 2' x 3' and about 8 to 10 inches deep. The edges on two sides bend in about an inch. It is difficult because you have to have the tank sitting on its side in order to weld it properly. But the angles make it so that you can't see what you're doing with your tungsten. All I have managed to do so far is stick my tungsten about 100 times and make some really crappy looking unevening choppy welds. I just can't seem to be able to freehand it in a way that makes the wire lay inreal nice. I don't know if I'm not burning hot enough or what. I'm running right now at about 70 to 73 amps. The other problem two is that if I linger in one spot too Long it will nord through and I have to spend a whole bunch of time grinding adding Wire and feathering it back out on the other side. I guess I just don't feel comfortable with the control that I have over my torch At the angles that I am working at right now. Any suggestions?

If in fact the pc. is 1/8 to 1/4" thick then you need more amps than 70-73.

Try recessing the tungsten into the cup so it can't stick. Try a mirror.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24