Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Wire feed process-110v or 220v,

I am ready to purchase my first mig wire feed welder. I think I will get a welder that I can use with flux core wire to start with, and buy the guages and bottle so I can switch over to gas if I want. I am only familiar with welding on a 110v machine using a gas backfill. I have never used the flux core wire without the use of gas. One of the questions I want info on is what a 220v machine will offer compared to 110v's. I mostly weld on car projects, sheet metal ect, but would like to be able to weld frame metal or other heavy guage metal sometimes. Any info appreciated! Thanks, Darren...

Do you have access to a 230v circuit? I would stay away from the 115v welders. They can be okay but are limiting in heat output sometimes. I would look for a used millermatic 175 or 180 to start with. They usually come with a flow gauge so all you would need to add is a bottle. The other thread you posted in was welded with shielding gas. That is why it looks pretty clean. It is harder to weld outside with gas shielding. Do you have a small budget? that greatly affects the equipment you can buy. Since you have welded with fluxcore before is it safe to assume that you have the required ppe? That can add additional cost.

So what kind of car projects? Fabricating parts for offroad use? Show cars? Tell us more!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

I have been welding on project muscle cars. Quarter panels, door skins, trunk and floor panels, whatever needs repair or replaced. Unfortunetly I have been welding with my tried and true Miller arc welder (I use a stitch attachment and a spot weld attachment from eastwood for some applications). Some of the projects were a 1969 SS El Camino, 1969 H.O. 350 Firebird, 1934 Plymouth 2 Dr coupe. I,m currently working on my 1971 Buick Skylark Custom Convertible, my wife's 1969 Pontiac LeMans and my 1976 Jimmy. I want to step up to wire feed to take advantage of the Mig process. I weld rocker panels, valances , and other rusted out or broken body parts also. I also like to fabricate custom parts and make specialty tools to use along the way. I enjoy bringing neglected and forgotten cars back to life. When I finish my muscle car projects my wife and I take them to cruise ins and sometimes enter them in the Portland Roadster Show! I usually take trophies at the cruise ins. I also do my own painting, upholstry, and mechanical. Thanks for the interest. Also thanks for the info. I am trying to get as much experienced advice as I can before buying. My budget is $600.00, so I will try to get the best bang for the buck! Darren...

Most autobody shops I see are using a 110 volt Lincoln 135. With c-25 gas. you don't really want to use flux core on autobody panels, do to the heat, and thus warpage + you have to remove the flux. You often get flux inclusions in the weld as well.

Makes sense to me! Thanks!