Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Got D1.1, now what?

I'm new to this forum and Im giving this a shot to see if I can get some welder wisdom.
    I'm a US Marine Combat veteran.
    I served four years as a 1316welder in Camp Pendleton and Iraq.
    I am now out of the military and pursuing my dream of landing a good welding job. I am D1.1 certified and wounded what's the route to go.
    What is the D1.1 really good for??

Next is to get a job welding. The cert is good to get your foot in the door. In my opinion that's all it's good for.
    Thank you for your service.
    Kevin

Thank you for your service & dedication to our country !!!!! Freedom is not free, with out men like you this great country would not be what it is today. Thank you and your family again.
    My son also serviced in logistics he operated heavy wrecker, tanker etc. and had all his CDL, HAZMAT certs. Came back to US. & Pa. And they were worthless, he had to test & pass all again in Pa. Took him awile to test & work his was up but he is now working for a good company driving HazMat Tanker.
    Our Military has some of the best & safest training available and it is a shame & disrespect that our country doesn't honor that on your return. Hope & Pray your State is better that Pa.
    On the plus side we still have local company's that will do there own testing to hire and also willing to train as needed with little regard to certs. Some also have high respect for our military and little care what State thinks, they hire on your attitude & skill not your paper trail. Get out there & show them what u can do. Sometimes the smaller company doesn't pay as well but it's a start and u may learn alot more alot faster. Good Luck to u and your family, our Hope & Payers are with you.

Thank you Kevin it feels good to know I can finally get my foot in the door.
    Gnforge, thank you for your appreciation. Seems like America is loosing appreciation for our military more and more and it's a sad fact.
    You son was a tanker that's awesome I wish I would of had that experience. I've been doing my research and like you said there are some apprentice programs for pipe welding unions and such. But I really enjoy GTAW and FCAW-G. Im starting school Monday at Cerritos college for more certifications. I want to get as much certs as I can while I'm young and fresh so I can hopefully land a job with the city of Los Angeles, Honeywell or Aerospace. An I on the right path?
    Again thank you for your prayers God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by usMarine1316 View Post
    Seems like America is loosing appreciation for our military more and more and it's a sad fact.
    But I really enjoy GTAW and FCAW-G. Im starting school Monday at Cerritos college for more certifications. I want to get as much certs as I can while I'm young and fresh so I can hopefully land a job with the city of Los Angeles, Honeywell or Aerospace. An I on the right path?
    Yes you are on the right path. Cerritos College is a good one. El Camino College degree program is also.

Up towards the Valley is College of the Canyons, which has a 2 year welding degree program. Techical math, blueprint reading, metalurgy, machine shop, and of course the weld lab with certs galore. My kid earned a transfer degree there, and finished a BA in Industrial Technology. All the while working in my shop and certifying to AWS d1.2, and AWS17.1 for GTAW alum. He is now working at SpaceX in the Friction stir weld dept.

Thanks for all you gave to America, and I hope we can give back.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Yep. & don't forget GI-Bill. They even have money for apprentice programs. Also they were talking about tax breaks for employers, not sure what they passed.
    Take care
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by usMarine1316 View Post
    What is the D1.1 really good for??

D1.1 is the AWS structural welding code. It applies to structural steel in buildings of course but overlaps into other areas like heavy equipment repair. It's valuable ($$$wise) in some places but useless in others.
    The welding world is big, broad and vast. If you are more specific about what type of welding job you'd like, and where you'd like to get it you'll get better/more specific info.
    Most welding jobs have no relation to welding jobs in other sectors (that is an Ironworker running T-8 wire at elevation doesn't relate to an aerospace welder tig welding aircraft parts or a guy welding pontoon repairs at the marina or a pressure piping welder building a powerhouse).
    Whittle it down and then you can get advise from experienced people in a particular field. If you have an idea of what you are wanting to pursue you'll be better equipped to get in there. There is a broad range of welding jobs, some will happily support a household on one income leaving Mom to be a Mom, working 4-6 months per year, some will just barely beat minimum wage working like a dog year round. Gotta be specific.
    Good fortune to you, and like everyone already said thank you for your service,

JT
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

cant help too much on what you had asked, i just wanted to say welcome to the forum and thank you so very much for serving our country and people. thank you and welcome. kevin mcmurray