Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My first weld

Default My first weld

After about five min practicing, here it is. My first weld on a joint with my miller 140 mig.

Default Gas or flux core ?

Hi, your weld looks great. I like that you tacked first. I am getting ready to buy my first wire feed welder. I am trying to learn the benefits of gas versus flux core wire. Which process was this, gas or flux, Also was it using a machine with 110 v or 220 v ? Keep up the good work ! Darren...

This was done with a 110v. Also gas 75 Aragon and 25 co2. I did some 90 degree welds toDay. I will post pics when I get home.

Thanks, give as much info as you can about pic's, that helps answer questions. I look forward to seeing more!

These were my first 90 degree welds I tried. I tried circular weld as opposed to the weave.

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack188 View Post
    These were my first 90 degree welds I tried. I tried circular weld as opposed to the weave.

I see u got the heat going for ya

Haha what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack188 View Post
    Haha what you mean?
    He's referring to the discoloration of the metal in the heat affected zone(HAZ). In case you don't know, the heat is what caused the color to change in the metal.

oooooo thanks

If that black line on top of the weld in the top picture is a shadow then you are undercutting (going a little slow, angle to much toward the vertical piece, or running too hot).

The center picture looks like the weld is not wetting out, or tying into the base material on the toes. This may be from not keeping the wire in the puddle, making your circles too big or not running hot enough.

The bottom one looks the best but I see a couple spots where the weld is stacking up and over lapping like the center picture.

You are definitely on the right track. Looks great for just a couple days practice.