Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Pipe end caps for a bbq pit

I built a bbq pit recently for a friend and am about to start a second one. On the first one I cut circles with my plasma and welded them in to cap the ends. Then I ground the welds. The end cap (circle I cut) I put flush with the end of the pipe so once ground down it was a sharp transition from the top of the pipe 90* down to the cap surface.

I see pro built pits that have lovely rounded edges like the one in the pic I'm including. How do they do this? Is there a cap they buy and weld on? This can't be hand ground. If it is, I can't grind this pretty and consistent.

Here's how I did mine:

Here's a 'pretty' one I want to emulate:

Thanks for your help!

Thanks to another place I posted this it looks like 'tank heads' are what I'm looking for. Just posting that here in case it helps someone searching threads years from now.

http://www.fwfdhead.com/HeadInfo2.htm

Dude! I've been thinking about making one of these for a while. Thanks for sharing!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

That pit looks more like the commen flat plate cut and welded, for sure not elliptical head. On our pits we get a edge as you showed, we cut them out of thicker plate than what we roll for the tank. Then the plate is cut to not fit inside of the tube, lay a 1/8" rod in three places and set the plate on it, then tak really well, weld completely from the inside then the outside. This will allow plenty weld to remain after grinding, grind the weld to the desired look then finish off with sanding pads on a 4' grinder and take it slow and you can get the radius with out any trouble.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Swamp rat; 01-05-2013 at 04:53 AM.

I made a pit like that when I was in high school working at my dads shop. It was my first pit. Unfortunately I didn't get to keep it. It was a gift to an oil field company man. I found using a certain type of grinding disk actually buffed the welds to a very smooth finish. I had it all buffed where you couldn't even find where the weld seam was on the ends.

I used 30" pipe 1/4" thick (fire tubing) with 1/4" plate all hand cut ends with a oxy/act torch. Had a square tubing shelf with the expanded metal and used 6" pipe for the wheels. Looked awesome even without paint, not a bur or BB anywhere. Our painters sand blasted it and gave it a nice black finish.

It was extremely heavy and took 3 of us to pick it up to get the wheels on the trailer to load it. Should last the guy a life time.

As far as the radius on the end I would guess more grinding, any thing custom would be adding to your pit costs.
    Last edited by clint738; 01-05-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp rat View Post
    finish off with sanding pads on a 4' grinder and take it slow and you can get the radius with out any trouble.
    Where do you even FIND 4' grinders? They must be a real bear to handle, and I thought a 9" grinder was a beast to work with, what do they run on 240V 3 phase?

Only Real men can handle these , not wanta-be's.