Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default flux core vs gas

Ok i am trying to learn this. Ive been told that welding with a 75/25 gas mixture will get you the nicest welds and surpasses welding with flux core. But then ive also been told if you have a smaller welder such as a 120v welder that you will be able to weld thicker metal with the flux core. Is what i am being told correct?

Basically yes, and yes. It depends on what and where you are welding. MIG has a purpose. Flux core has a purpose. If there was only a need for one, the other would not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by davido30093 View Post
    Basically yes, and yes. It depends on what and where you are welding. MIG has a purpose. Flux core has a purpose. If there was only a need for one, the other would not exist.
    I have to explain you, that you have 2 types of fluxcore, innershield which does not use gas and dual shield that uses gas, they are both fluxcore wire that uses mig as a method of welding. Actually one does not exist without the other.

I love explanations, but I alrady knew that one. Try again.

Thanks.

I use fc for welding structural. Use .045 212 wire for 3/8 or smaller, and .072 232 for larger stuff.

Thanks guys

Gas will get you less spatter, better appearance weld. Flux core gets better penetration and can be used outdoors in the wind and is more portable due to not needing a bottle.