Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: refractory

Hybrid View

Default refractory

Hi all I am currently building a little coal forge and want the fire pot to be insulated and was wondering if I could use dirt /sand around the outside of the firepot until I can get some refractory mix. Or does anyone have any other ideas for makeshift refractory? Thanks all
    Nate

Default refractory

How big of a gap are you trying to fill? Do you access to kaowool or some Ram? I mean in the non runner at the troughs by the blast furnace the bottom layer before we gunite is sand. It would work as a temporary solution. A lot of refactory is nothing more than a special concrete with a activator and or accelerator.
    Last edited by Rezeppa; 01-02-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Default refractory

It's about 3 inches I'm thinking. And as soon as I'm back to work at a steel mill ill have access to super 3000. Just wondering about for now to get me started.
    Thanks

I was going to ask next about super 300 now if it was me I would use firebrick and motor it with super 3000. Super 3000 on its own in 3" areas seams a bit much. Temporary use I would pack sand or concrete in.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Default refractory

What steel mill are you working at? I think I have done refactory work in your area and I bet I have shockcreted there.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Default refractory

Sorry to blow the forum up but if you could get some V-chairs and ksv4 (or another water activated finite you can hand pack) that would be my ideal way of lining it. I would think no matter what your going to want to weld stainless anchors on the inside to prevent collapsing.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Default refractory

I'm from southern Ontario and I work at us steel and dofasco when ever they need fixing just contract work. And I was planning on using a stainless steel sink and put anchors all around and kinda just build the bottom up till it has a few inches of some sort of refractory. I think I'll use mostly super 3000 just cuz a friend if mine is getting me a pail of it but I have some fire brick too that would probably work for building a sort of roof on it to hold some more heat in. Any other thoughts?
    Thanks
    Nate

Default refractory

No I have gone to that US Steel plant for work before my employer was subcontracted through Magneco Martel, and Phoenix Refactory Technologies (PRT) no it sounds like you have a good idea of what your doing.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Default refractory

Alright thanks !