Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need 4 1/2" hole in Aluminum ??

Need to cut 4 1/2" hole in 1/4" Aluminum backing plate for fighting chair.
    Plate is secured to underside of floor deck of boat so it will be a 1/2" drill, not a drill press.
    i only need to make 1 hole. Will a 4 1/2" Milwaukee hole saw work on Aluminum ?
    or do I need a specialized bit ??
    Thanks Ed

Lacking proper tools, I'd just use a saber saw and a good metal blade for just one hole.
    CG
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    Smithy Lathe/Mill

Default Need 4 1/2" hole in Aluminum ??

Alm is soft, should work for one hole.

I work on boats all day the only thing i find that will cut aluminum easy is a plasma. I do this all day and found that it is the right way to do this. Good luck

Just use the hole saw. I hole saw 1/4" steel all the time. Aluminum will be cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Just use the hole saw. I hole saw 1/4" steel all the time. Aluminum will be cake.
    The 4.5" Milwaukee hole saw will do the job just fine, and alot cheaper than buying/renting a plasma torch to make only one hole. A jigsaw with a metal cutting blade will do it too, if it doesn't have to be perfectly round, just close enough to round.

I would use the hole saw too. If you want to keep the hole saw from wandering, drill the 4 1/2'' hole in a piece of plywood that will fit in your hole location. Cut the plywood so it is large enough to stand on. This will work as a guide and should work out well.

Use something to help wash away the chips. Water soluble oil, Wd40, etc. even just plain water will help keep the hole saw from loading up. A drill with an extra handle is prefered so when it catches less chance of hurting your wrist.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Hole saw

and lube the aluminum, you can even use tapping fluid, it will bind to the chips and remove them faster. Slow speed, you don't want to burn up your $5 hole saw

Ditto the hole saw. A little lube and it will take less time than reading this thread.