Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Miller 22a questions / problems

I picked up a Miller 22a and Arc Pak 350 in trade. I never saw it run since the guy delivered it to my house. I switched it from 480 3 phase to 240 single phase per the manual instructions, it turned on, I hooked up my gas bottle, hooked up a spool of .045" wire, replaced some bad parts on the Tregaskiss tough gun, and tried to run a bead.

On 3/16" plate, wire speed at 3 or 4, it just sputtered, erratic arc, popping. I turned the speed down, it was better, turned it down to 1, and it could maintain the arc a little better, for a few seconds, but it piles up on the plate even at low speed, no penetration. It just seems super weak. I struck the arc and watched the gauges on the Arc Pak 350, and it showed 20 volts and 100 amps when it was running.

No matter what settings I change on the pendant, I can't get anything going. It seems to somwehat arc when i have the voltage and speed set way down, but anything high and it just melts the wire to the tip or pops erratically before jamming the wire up in the gun.

What should I look for? I'm starting to think i got the bad end of a trade deal, not even counting all the work it took to get the thing up and running in my garage
    Last edited by lance_b_1; 01-01-2013 at 08:29 PM.

I run a 22a. Using .045 innershield wire (gasless) my feeder is set at about 2.75 to 3 on the feed dial. Are you sure you have the incoming power set correctly? Running the right polarity? L1 & L3 for incoming single phase, L2 is not used. Jumpers correct?
    Last edited by MMW; 01-02-2013 at 05:36 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

hello thank you! I pulled my cover off and double checked my jumpers with the owner's manual and they look correct, and I have capped off the red wire and am running my power to L1 and L3. I attempted to hook the lead from the 22a to the negative and the ground to positive, it really didn't seem to make a difference! I swapped them back to DCEP though

I am starting to think the neck that I installed on my gun is not making correct contact, or the tip is bad. The way it keeps popping the wire and fusing to my tip seems like a bad hookup. I'm going to install the old broken flex neck and just put some heat shrink over it for the gas for now to see if it works better

I think I got it figured! It seemed like a bad ground or connection situation, with the pop pop pop intermittent arc, and then I started to suspect the neck I installed on the tough gun- the flex neck was cracked when I got it, so I installed a solid aluminum neck, but it didn't fit up to the tough gun correctly. it must have had a bad connection, or the set screws I installed to keep it from spinning were grounding the trigger to the neck? Well, now it lays a nice fat bead, and I can dial in my settings. I was worried the .045 wire was too large for a 240v home setup, or that I couldn't dig deep with only 240v, well I'm blowing holes through the 1/4 plate scraps I'm messing with, and have plenty of juice left.
    thanks again