Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default diesel or gas trucks ?

i was wondering if i should go with diesel or a gas pick up. I commute about 50 miles round trip on highway. I dont necessarily need a diesel but herd they get better fuel mileage on highway. I also want 4x4 but dont NEED 4x4 if you know what i mean. i really dont do pulling unless its in the summer pulling a mowing trailer. Just want some opinions and imput on them. thanks

Not really enough info to be able to give advice. But, diesels tend to be a bit more up front, but can pay off with fuel economy over time. New gas engines in the 1/2 tons can get pretty good gas mileage too compared to the years past. The more load to be carried the larger the benefit in fuel economy to the diesel also.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 01-01-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Stick with gas the diesel might be cheaper on fuel but repairs will kill you and if your not pulling anything over what a 1/2 ton truck can pull there is no need for extra head ache

Dodge 2500 with a cummins

You have to change fuel filters more often for diesels. Fuel additives are recommended since the EPA took the sulphur out of the fuel. Also you are looking a lot more oil each time you change. I have a dirtymax and it takes the least amount of oil at 10qts.

I tow rock crawlers around and I get 15-16 highway towing and 20+ highway empty. That being said, around town kills my economy. 12-14mpg. I converted to a caterpillar fuel filter so it is less then $20 when I change it every 10k miles. Oil with full synthetic every 10k miles costs about $80 and then $10 for my Allison transmission. Filter every 10k miles. Tires aren't cheap either. Ive got some e-rated 10 ply tires and those cost more than what a Gasser will need...

Tell us more about why you need a truck.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

I've got a 7.3lt which takes 17lt oil at change.

Honestly, a diesel just isn't worth it anymore unless your hauling a 5th wheel, or heavy equipment. Fuel mileage isn't there in town. Have to let them warm up, instead of get in and go.

Plus fuel tends to cost somewhat more than reg gasoline. I wouln't buy another diesel

My 6.0 powerstroke diesel takes 14L/quarts of oil each change. 2 new fuel filters once a year.
    I pull a 20x8 tandem axle enclosed trailer with mine. If I wasnt pulling the trailer, i would not have a diesel. Diesels cost more to maintain and repair.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

I just always wanted a diesel but like everyone said I don't need it. I have a 03 gmc half ton 4x4 an it does the job but want something different an newer. Been thinking bout a reg cab newer Chevy or dodge but never liked the reg cab. I tend to use my ext cab for storage lol

Again I agree with Cruzier. I also have a 3/4 ton 7.3 which In some circles is the cream of the crop when it comes to diesels. I also have an older Chevy with a 350 both are 4x4. I am an advocate for diesel trucks but you HAVE to work it. If your not pulling its not going to pay for itself. If you don't own heavy equipment / large trailers or haul on a REGULAR basis it isn't worth it. I live in Michigan and the winters can get harsh it is a 15min warm up. The diesel are always a concern in cold weather. Women don't like the sound or smell (even if I feel differently). In my opinion go with a newer gasser you will overall be happier in the long run.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Default what kind

If you always wanted a diesel. You won't be happy till you've had one your self. I've had both v10 dodge it was a power house and loved gas. Now I ha a 08 super duty with the 6.4 power stroke. I love it but it does cost more to run.
    ARMOR
    MOBILE WELDING&SERVICES
    Trailblazer 302
    X-TREME 12VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Millermatic 135
    WeldCraft WPseries TIG torch
    Smith oxy set.