Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Thermal Arc 186 AC/DC TIG Welder

Anyone used the new Thermal Arc 186 yet? I'm a hobby welder who has been looking to get into a Tig welding and have been comparing the Thermal Arc 186 to the Miller Diversion 180. Looking at the users manual of the 186(see link below) the duty cycle looks a little low but I don't think that would be an issue since it isn't going to be used in a commercial shop. The AC/DC is a must so I can use it on aluminum and I like he fact that the 186 also has the ability to Stick weld. Yes, the Thermal Arc is probably made in China vs. the USA manufacture of the Diversion so I wonder about quality issues. In a perfect world I'd like to have a Dynasty 200DX but it's honestly way more welder than I can see myself ever needing and of course it's more than twice the price of the 186. Soooo, since you guys have far more knowledge and experience than me I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts. I currently have a MM210 and a Thunderbolt XL 225 ac/dc.

http://victortechnologies.com/IM_Upl...A)_Oct2012.pdf
    Last edited by BlownC6Z; 12-31-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Thermal Arc is a top manufacturer

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the TA 186

I'd probably go with the one with the foot pedal though

http://store.cyberweld.com/tharc186acti.html
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I have my suspicions that the Diversion 180 is not made in the states...........I could very well be wrong though !!!

Thanks Broccoli1, I know the TA185 has a solid reputation but the 186 is so new I haven't heard any talk about it from folks that have had their hands on one. I believe it was released in November so it's still very new to the market, just thought I might find someone around here that had actually used one. As you say though Thermal Arc is a quality manufacturer. And thanks for the CyberWeld link, Welding supplies from IO had the 186 with foot control for $1589 but raised their price a few days ago to $1789(sales must have been good) so it looks like CyberWeld has the best price now at $1625. http://store.cyberweld.com/tharc186acti.html

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs View Post
    I have my suspicions that the Diversion 180 is not made in the states...........I could very well be wrong though !!!
    The machine is made here

Guns and such may be made overseas

Their helmets are from Korea, I think, but definitely over there somewhere
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

The TA 186 is made in China. Dont confuse the success of the TA 185 with anything that Thermal Arc brings out of China today. The TA 185 was made by Sanrex, a Japanese semiconductor manufacturer.

If you have identified the need for advanced ac wave shaping, then get the Dyansty 200. Otherwise, stay with a small syncrowave.