Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MM 211 Concerns

Default I don't agree with you...

Quote Originally Posted by the45er View Post
    ....this makes good sense.....until you think about the fact that if the auto set was designed for people "that don't have experience", then what happens when they set it and continue to burn through their tubing and can't get good welds when the machine is set as per the instructions???!!! Talk about frustrating to the newbie home welding hobbyist! You pay a premium for an "auto set" feature that after ruining a bunch of metal you learn that the auto set feature really doesn't work well and that you have to learn to set the appropriate wire speed - voltage - metal thickness - type-of-weld combination through trial and error experience. OK, I accept that, but why did Millermatic build a welder that doesn't work as advertised? I would have rather saved the money and bought a 220 V unit without a worthless feature. If I'm forced to learn the machine by trial-and-error anyway, I'd rather have not paid for the auto set!
    I use my auto set all the time. But I know it is not magic. It gets me close and i adjust the ONE knob as needed...just means one less knob to turn to get a good weld...and God knows I need this as simple as posible.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Default Thanks for some sensible feedback on my rant about Miller's "AutoSet"

Let me start out by saying I really like my new MM211. However, the combination of me and the auto-set on my machine makes a bad team. If the auto-set was only off by one click of a knob, I would have no problem with that. In my experience so far, especially on thinner metal thicknesses, I've had to set the Auto-Set at least two settings down in order not to have to race through the weld or burn a hole in the metal.

Now, I accept the fact that this is a combination of my welding skills as well as the machine itself. I try not the blame the arrow because usually it's the Indian that's the problem. Having said this, there sure are a lot of other "Indians" out there who seem to be shooting the same defective arrow!

Quote Originally Posted by the45er View Post
    I try not the blame the arrow because usually it's the Indian that's the problem. Having said this, there sure are a lot of other "Indians" out there who seem to be shooting the same defective arrow!
    Just like you'll find lots of meat lovers in a steak house.
    Most of the market for the 211 is for hobby and newer welders, the ones who are just starting out or don't weld all the time. If you don't like the auto set, don't use it!!!
    As stated I don't see you paid more for auto set over non, maybe you paid more for Miller over other brands.
    Just my .02

Go2 is right. I CAN use the as feature. It is more of a hassle though, especially for thin sheet.