Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Smaller Migs with FluxCore wire ?

Hi, I'm wondering if it is generally just accepted that flux core welding with a smaller mig can never have the appearance of solid wire an gas, could someone post pictures of there flux core welds so I could see whats possible to achieve ,Ican do ok with the gas an solid wire But flux core wery rough looking welds" I'm thinking the smaller machines dont perform well on flux core wire, Thanks for any information

Here's a link to a picture I posted the other day. The top weld is fluxcore with a small 220 volt welder. The base plate weld is with 7018 stick.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...182#post298182

Post 11
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Quote Originally Posted by farmer welder View Post
    Hi, I'm wondering if it is generally just accepted that flux core welding with a smaller mig can never have the appearance of solid wire an gas, could someone post pictures of there flux core welds so I could see whats possible to achieve ,Ican do ok with the gas an solid wire But flux core wery rough looking welds" I'm thinking the smaller machines dont perform well on flux core wire, Thanks for any information
    One of the biggest mistakes people make with these is that you need to keep your contact tip to work distance about 3/4". It will not run right if to close or too far away. The other thing is the rule, "If it makes slag u drag". Make sure you are dragging the puddle not pushing it as u would do with solid wire mig. As posted above should be able to make a weld just like a 7018. Hope this helps

Your doing something. The size machine has nothing to do with it. Do you have all the flux core gear in place or did you just throw a spool in and go? Polarity?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    The size machine has nothing to do with it.
    Sure it does. A 110v welder trying to weld 1/2" plate won't look like a 220v welder with the same setup. He never did say what machine or what he was welding...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Hi,Thanks for the replies, I should have explained I only wish to weld lighter material with the mig, as anything over 1/8 I can manage with stick ,The machine is a 180 lincoln, Canadian Tire model Is lighter stuff harder to do with Fluxcore? I remember someone saying a 120v or inverter type machine works better on light steel? Doe's that make any sense? Thanks

Light metal is a little trickier with fluxcore. Kinda hard to describe, sometimes on real thin I use a little of a whip, like you were welding with 6011 and remember drag don't push.
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post

Sure it does. A 110v welder trying to weld 1/2" plate won't look like a 220v welder with the same setup. He never did say what machine or what he was welding...Bob
    Who said anything about welding 1/2" plate with a 110v welder? Given the fact he said he knows how to mig properly, I think we can assume he understands you cannot weld any thickness material with any machine. So, I was merely stating it is possible to run flux core on any amperage machine.

Run .045" fluxcore with 75/25 gas and you should have no problems.
    Why do you want to use fluxcore on light gage material?
    Its usually only used on heavier material because of the good deposition rate.
    Or are you referring to gasless fluxcore?