Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ok guys
    i took the cables off the machine handles and stretched them out onto the floor. they were not touching anything else. i also unwrapped the ground clamp off from the handles also. the ground and torch cables we no where near each other.
    this did not change anything. i tried everything else i could think of again. still have the erratic arc.

is it possible for the power cable to break down ? this torch and cable are 4.5 years old and 6" from the torch tip have had a great deal of twisting over the 4.5 years from all of the various positions. im just wondering if the cables are capable of breaking down internally and might be causing my problem ?

my current torch is a weldcraft wp-18 good for 350 amps.

i was just searching around and see weldcraft now offers a wp-18sc, super cool, 400 amps torch that offers improved collet and body cooling compared to my torch.
    just curious if any of you have had any experience with the sc torch ?

im so frustrated that im thinking about trying a new torch.

thanks for the help guys.
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

was told today by a fellow welder that my erratic arc problem might be a bad high frequency box inside the machine...
    does that sound like a possibility guys ?

thanks
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125

That high freq transformer generally works or it doesn't. If you've been pushing high amps in your existing torch, I'd be more inclined to say, its built up alot of resistance (burned conduit), and maybe a torch change is due.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    That high freq transformer generally works or it doesn't. If you've been pushing high amps in your existing torch, I'd be more inclined to say, its built up alot of resistance (burned conduit), and maybe a torch change is due.

thanks for the info on the hf transformer.... and i have ordered a new torch, and am praying that is my problem.
    this is the original torch and runs almost every day, almost 5 years, at 250-300 amps, all day long....

thanks again cruizer..
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125