Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default erratic arc a/c on syncrowave 350

guys
    every once in a while i get a very erratic arc when running on a/c and welding thick aluminum. its about to drive me crazy.
    running the balance at 7, amps at 300, 75/25 argon helium anywhere from 15-35cfh. i have tried cleaning the ground area, clamping ground directly to the part, two different bottles of gas, etc... i am at a loss.
    one day everything could be fine, and the next it drives me crazy.
    the arc kind of wanders all over the place and it even sounds different then when it runs good. and the paareacne of the bead is really flat. when its acting up i can not get a good apperaing bead at all.
    i have searched the internet and found something called "high frequency leakage",.....
    the article stated, "if you have a part(s) of your torch/lead that is/are damaged, the HF will leak and thus reduce the amount that is available at the arc to properly stabilize it"..

my torch and 25ft cables are 4 1/2 years old. and being 25ft in length, they are wrapped around the machine handles.
    have any of you had the "high frequency leakage" as stated above ? the article also went on to suggest running a bead with the lights in the shop turned off and having a coworker look for for arcing anywhere throughout the cables..

any help would be greatly appreciated on this subject.

after the holidays when i get back to work i am going to order a new set of cables and torch, probably 10ft in length, just to get them out of the equation.
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Sounds like contaminated tungsten to me, but I'm sure you've already ruled that out. I haven't heard about HF leakage before but it makes since, your current needs smooth surfaces to transfer across to be efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by FABMAN View Post
    guys
    every once in a while i get a very erratic arc when running on a/c and welding thick aluminum. its about to drive me crazy.
    running the balance at 7, amps at 300, 75/25 argon helium anywhere from 15-35cfh. i have tried cleaning the ground area, clamping ground directly to the part, two different bottles of gas, etc... i am at a loss.
    one day everything could be fine, and the next it drives me crazy.
    the arc kind of wanders all over the place and it even sounds different then when it runs good. and the paareacne of the bead is really flat. when its acting up i can not get a good apperaing bead at all.
    i have searched the internet and found something called "high frequency leakage",.....
    the article stated, "if you have a part(s) of your torch/lead that is/are damaged, the HF will leak and thus reduce the amount that is available at the arc to properly stabilize it"..

my torch and 25ft cables are 4 1/2 years old. and being 25ft in length, they are wrapped around the machine handles.
    have any of you had the "high frequency leakage" as stated above ? the article also went on to suggest running a bead with the lights in the shop turned off and having a coworker look for for arcing anywhere throughout the cables..

any help would be greatly appreciated on this subject.

after the holidays when i get back to work i am going to order a new set of cables and torch, probably 10ft in length, just to get them out of the equation.
    You have answered your own question:

" and being 25ft in length, they are wrapped around the machine handles."

Do not wrap your cables around the handles. It will cause problems with your arc and can damage the boards.

Griff

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    You have answered your own question:

" and being 25ft in length, they are wrapped around the machine handles."

Do not wrap your cables around the handles. It will cause problems with your arc and can damage the boards.

Griff

WOW.... no kidding ? i have been welding this way for over 4 years.... and this may explain why this situation arises from time to time. when i get back to work after the new year i will take them off the handles and lay them on the floor....man i hope that is all it is.... been driving me crazy over the years.
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125

WOW.... no kidding ? i have been welding this way for over 4 years.... and this may explain why this situation arises from time to time. when i get back to work after the new year i will take them off the handles and lay them on the floor....man i hope that is all it is.... been driving me crazy over the years.
    Same story on my end.

Griff

guys,
    when i take the cables off the handles, is it ok to wind the 25' cables in a circular coil, on the ground, or will that still possibly cause a problem ?
    thanks
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125

guys,
    when i take the cables off the handles, is it ok to wind the 25' cables in a circular coil, on the ground, or will that still possibly cause a problem ?
    I don't think you want the cables in a coil, period.

That's the point, or one of the points, of taking them off the handles.