Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default battery shut off on ford power stroke

I have a 2002 f250 power stroke with a bobcat 225 and i was wondering if you guys had battery shut offs on your rigs. I thought i read on 1 post that someone never used 1 and had no troubles toasting the computer while welding on the back of the truck. I put 1 on my frieghtliner and always used it before welding off the back of truck. I was wandering if there is something i dont know or is that guy just lucky he hasnt toasted his computer. So far i have always unhooked my batterys before welding off my f250's vise and unhooked the batterys on any truck with a computer that i was welding on. I have a heavy duty flaming river brand shut off to put on if needed. Any info would be helpful.

Used to have 99 powerjoke...had rhinolined bed. Tb302 on trailer, never unhooked when i welded and have never had an issue. That makes interesting thought tho as your alternator can be upwards of $175 or more. Id play safe if i were you unless you like fighting the tensioner pulley and replacing alternators. That was good engine ford put in from 99-03

I have a tb302 in the back of my 2009 f350 with the 6.4 litre powerstroke and have never had an issue and I weld on the tail gate when I need to, and I have no shut offs nor do I disconnect the batterys

Haha, f fords, I'm glad I have a GMC. Why would you need to isolate your battery? You are grounded to the welder not the battery!!!

Modern automotive electronics are MUCH more robust than those from the 80s, but they're still susceptible to overloads. And if the ground wire fails (due to mechanical damage or corrosion), a spike can fry a LOT more than just the PCM or alternator. So why push your luck? If you're welding on the truck such that the work lead (ground clamp) is grounded to the truck, unhook the truck's battery (or batteries). Since that may result in a lot of reprogramming (radio presets, clock, etc.), it's best to simply NOT weld on a grounded part of the truck. Rhino is a layer of polyurethane rubber, so it's a fantastic insulator. Even paint is an insulator, but it's easily scratched, so don't trust it. Throw a piece of cardboard or plywood down, and you can leave the battery hooked up.

Thanks for the info. I will be putting the shut off on today. I have a custom front bumper that i can mount the switch in where it wont be seen but can be turned easy . Have a good holiday.

Put my shut off switch in today. Couldn't bring myself to drilling holes anywhere in my bumper so i mounted it beside my passenger side battery. I have to pop the hood to turn it but thats easier then popping the hood to replace fried electrical parts. ( and cheaper ). Switch has a lock hole for out of service/theft protection which may come in handy 1 day.

I have worked off a dozen trucks, welded on another 1000 at least, never unhooked. Never found anyone that could actually explain how it helped prevent anything.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I have worked off a dozen trucks, welded on another 1000 at least, never unhooked. Never found anyone that could actually explain how it helped prevent anything.
    Yup i am with you there too. At least 1,000...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

The only reason i asked is cause have seen fellow employees fry alternators welding on trucks. Have only heard about computers getting fried. I had the shut off ( didn't cost me anything ) so better safe then sorry. And it gave me something to do.