Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    I own about 20 cylinders of various gases. No way would I pay rent on them it would be over $200.00 per month just on rental. I purchased some of my cylinders from individuals, a few from Airgas and some were given to me. All are Airgas bottles or its affiliates . As far as inspections, no need to since I just exchange them when its empty.
    As far as transporting acetylene, no problem laying it down, just let it stand upright at least 10 minutes before use.
    Are tanks marked to indentify that you own them?

So if you are exchanging your personally owned cylinders for full ones each time, what if you were to quit using that supplier and decided to use another supplier or simply decided not to get your tank filled there anymore. Would you just keep the tank and take it to the other supplier no questions asked?

Or would you have to tell your current supplier your going else where first and they would have to give you a different tank with an identifier that you own it?

How would the other supplier know that you brought in a cylinder you owned and were not exchanging a rented cylinder from another company?

Default Transporting Acetylene

The idea of keeping the tank vertical is to keep the liquid acetone in the tank, one issue. And secondly out of your regulators. I don't know if it is true but I've been told that it will wreak havoc with your regulators. I don't plan to test the theory. More importantly, acetylene is unstable at the pressure in the tank so it is dissolved in acetone to keep it stable. I guess if you were to partially empty the tank it could be very dangerous. I don't intend to test that theory either. So if you lay one down let it stand upright long enough for the acetone to fully drain down from the valve. Acetone is very fluid so I guess 10 minutes is likely safe. When you are transporting make sure all tanks are well secured and cannot slide around or forward or backward. Besides being dangerous it will also get you a hefty fine if the DOT sees you.
    Meltedmetal

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by clint738 View Post
    Are tanks marked to indentify that you own them?

How would the other supplier know that you brought in a cylinder you owned and were not exchanging a rented cylinder from another company?
    Thats where you need to call your local welding guy and talk to them. Everyplace has different "laws" that pertain to cylinders. I own some that i have a paper for from my local guy. So one day i asked him if i sell my business what about the tanks. He said good luck with them esp if they go out of state since they are all marked with his company name but say sold stamped on them and maybe someone will fill them and maybe they won't. So its best to ask where you will be getting bottles from because everything else is just a crap shoot. Some you win and some you loose...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48