Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ROOKIE - PASSPORT PLUS ? Pros vs. Cons ?

I am liking what I read about the passport plus.
    Your experience ?
    Any advice on pros and cons ?
    I like the arc/size/portability.
    And I am in tight quarters so less splatter is nice.

Could I do aluminum with it if I got argon/spoolgun down the road - plugged into 220 ?

Thanks, Stu
    Last edited by Stu Miles; 12-23-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Why do you have multiple threads asking the same information? If spatter is not acceptable, tig is the only choice.

Cool

If it were me i would just get the metal, form it, and farm out the welding. Then figure out how much you have to spend and buy the machine of your dreams. Then you can practice all you need until proficent. Learning to weld on alum will be a bit tricky, not saying it can't be done just harder. Just my thoughts...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Because

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Why do you have multiple threads asking the same information? If spatter is not acceptable, tig is the only choice.
    Because I am looking for specific advice now that I've deciding what I want -
    Just wondering about the passport plus in general.
    Info is kind of thin searching the threads.
    If you just use tig don't know why you'd even bother with the thread -
    just skip it - why even look at it !

Stu

I agree with Cgotto6.

I just did a simple search and found all the answers I needed to tell if I like the passport plus or not. If you do search, you will find I asked the same questions before I bought my first one, and someone else just asked the aluminum questions and several people responded to it about 2 weeks ago.

A lot of people on here will actually stop responding to your questions if you keep asking questions that people keep answering every month.

You can learn more from reading a lot of searches then you can asking one question because you will see other people who asked different questions that you never even though about.

P.S. Not trying to be rude

Sorry if I came off rude. By starting multiple threads it clutters up the search results for anybody searching for the same information.

Default ok thanks

I''ll take the advice and search the threads for answer on comparison of
    Miller 211 on 220 vs. passport on 220.
    But if you could point me to it since you located it all ready would appreciate it.
    Thanks for the help and tips.
    Stu

Over all i like mine. Pros:handy portable, mig is great with strait co2 (cheaper than c25) cons:Welds like crap on 110v

Stu,

I much prefer the Passport over the 211 but it comes with a bigger price tag also.

I've never really used the mm211 on 120v much but the Passport is just great on 120v.

They both will do Al on 240v

You are going to get some spatter with mig, just the nature of the beast
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Ray C. View Post
    Over all i like mine. Pros:handy portable, mig is great with strait co2 (cheaper than c25) cons:Welds like crap on 110v
    I could weld 1/8" al on 120v
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus