Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Helmet Shade Settings For TIG

Hi All,

I'm moving into TIG from MIG/Stick to augment my skills and I'm a confused about helmet ratings for TIG. I have an Elite (about 5 yrs old) and I have been using #12 shade in stick/MIG/TIG. How do I know that my helmet is good for TIG on aluminum? What are the best settings and what does it mean when the helmet specs say a helmet is good for TIG at given amps? The TIG unit I'm using is an IdealArc, straight tungsten, with Argon and the aluminum material I'm welding on varies from 1/4" to 1/8". Thanks

Some thinner materials need to be tig welded at lower amps, some auto hoods will not have sensitivity and shade levels to meet those needs

The sensitivity rating on a hood tells you how low you can run your amps and the hood still darken properly. The shade you will need will depend on your amperage setting along with your personal preference.

The elite will meet your needs. What I always say is stay as dark as you can and still see puddle. If you see spots after u lift the hood you aren't dark enough. Shade 10 will get u where u wanna be for most tig on thinner stuff. The sensitivity setting is how sensitive the sensors are to darken the shade.

Thanks for the help. I am going to be using UV rated safety glasses under the helmet from now on.

My Miller Elite has UV protection even if it doesn't darken, I would think most AD hoods do the same