Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Moving to Alberta.

Hi everyone. I've been welding for about a year and I'm CWB certified in SMAW and MIG in the flat and horizontal position as well as MCAW and FCAW in the flat position. I'm planning to move to Alberta by February this coming year cause I want to start an apprenticeship and get my red seal. Should I move to Calgary or Edmonton? Is it too hard to get into a boilermaker or pipe-fitter union as an apprentice? Any advice will be most appreciated. I'm a really-hard working person as well as a loyal employee. Thanks a lot in advance.

You'll have to get Alberta residency, then either start from ground zero on your apprenticeship, or apply to have a year granted at one of the A.I.T's in Alberta(Apprenticeship & Industry training)

As for work, look up the Canadian Job bank, and find out who is hiring apprentices.

You will need your CWB certs to be complete if you want to get hired, meaning in all positions with SMAW, GMAW, FCAW and at least first year .

Hey there I'm a boilermaker from Ontario and out there they won't really care about cwb too much. If you got your Alberta B pressure, your welder red seal or pressure tickets from where your from you would have a decent shot. Call the halls and ask them is the best way to find out. You might get lucky and they need welder apprentices. Even try the Calgary shop hall to just do shop work. Good luck

Company like SMS Komatsu equipment require CWB certification among others.
    That's if you want the big buck$

Thanks a lot for the reply

I'm moving from Ontario. I've been trying really hard to get into an apprenticeship but they won't take apprentices in Ontario as all you need is a little bit of experience une maybe a CWB ticket I am moving to Alberta cuss I'm really interested in learning all about the trade I know they take Apprentice in Alberta so that's my goal find a good company work hard for them 3or 4 years and get my Red Seal. Thanks a lot for all the replies.

They union halls in Ontario take apprentices I've been in the pipe fitter hall as a welder apprentice and now the boilermakers you gotta go apply the process takes awhile though. But you can't beat the experience /pay. Good luck

Red seal in Ontario is not a requirement for work as a welder. Welding is still in many places considered a skill and not a trade in Ontario. That is changing however thanks to provinces like Alberta.
    If you have documentation of hours worked as a welder and a boss that can write a letter of recommendation for you, you may be able to challenge your Red seal welder exam in Ontario.
    To work on the the oil patch welding in Alberta and doing code work, you will require your Red seal status. You should be able to work in a fab shop doing non code welding with just your CWB though?
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Century Mig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Thanks a lot again for all the replies. I went to the pipefitters and boilermakers Union close to the place where I'm living and I took fue union entry test and I passed it with good marks. Then they give u a list of unionized employers for u to go and apply. Not many places take apprentices in Ontario anymore, that's really bad, that's the reason why I'm moving to Alberta. Hopefully I'll find a place to work hard and learn a lot.