Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    Cyberweld is a well known online based welding supply dealer. Also there have been many others that people recommend. I have purchased through them.

The 150 amp tig torch is pretty well sufficient for a 200 amp machine, as long as it is a 100% duty cycle one. Companies are now trying to make 60% duty cycle to reduce costs but I haven't seen tig torches be affected yet. I do know benard makes 60% duty mig guns.

I personally have owned the dynasty 200 DX for 4 years now and I have only burnt up the tig torch once and that was because I was welding 1/2" steel, to 1/2" steel, using 200 amps, 50/50 helium mix and almost nonstop for 5 hours.

The foot pedal is made from high impact plastic, I know this because I have kicked the crap out of mine getting pissed off on a job and it still works great. But don't do it yourself, its $250 to replace!

How were you able to weld 1/2" steel when the rating is only to 1/4" ?

Quote Originally Posted by go2building View Post
    Dynasty 200 has a spec limit of 1/4". You will hit Duty cycle limits.
    I would have thought being capable of 200amps that it could weld thicker than 1/4", especially if Country Metals is welding 1/2" steel.

So even welding 1/4" steel 3 or 4 minutes and then giving the machine a break while fitting up stuff is going to be to hard on the machine?

Would the machine handle it any better in stick mode versus tig mode?

Thanks,
    Clint

I don't see why you couldn't bevel and run a couple passes to exceed the 1/4" rating.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch (for sale)
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Wohhhh,Wohhhh,Wohhhh,Wohhhh, Wohhhh.... Slow down......

I never said that I was welding 1/2" in one pass. You can use a 110 stick welder to weld the entire hull of a nuclear submarine, AS LONG AS you know how to do it. Preheat, rod size, between pass temps, a lot of experience, ect, and a lot of time on your hands.

For clarification, the specs that miller provides are for 1 pass only, not multi pass welding or usage of preheat. I would call it, fabricating specs because most welds in fabrication are single pass. Not pipe specs, military, structural, ect.

As far as AC, I do weld with it at 200 amps, I don't do it enough to really notice a difference. I only weld aluminum about once every 2 weeks at best. Usually only 1/8 - 3/16". Also running helium mix/straight will allow more heat to transfer and allowing you to run less amps meaning more duty cycle. But more cost in gas.

I just got done putting new teeth on a pulverizer and some 1 1/2" thick wear plates on bottom. I used the 200 DX to put 5/32 11018 first 3 passes in on the wear plates and then dual shielded the rest with my Invision 352 MPA Plus. I just like that strong stick beginning. I did have to preheat and move a lot to keep heat at a reasonable level.

Overall I like my 200DX

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    Wohhhh,Wohhhh,Wohhhh,Wohhhh, Wohhhh.... Slow down......

I never said that I was welding 1/2" in one pass. You can use a 110 stick welder to weld the entire hull of a nuclear submarine, AS LONG AS you know how to do it. Preheat, rod size, between pass temps, a lot of experience, ect, and a lot of time on your hands.

For clarification, the specs that miller provides are for 1 pass only, not multi pass welding or usage of preheat. I would call it, fabricating specs because most welds in fabrication are single pass. Not pipe specs, military, structural, ect.

As far as AC, I do weld with it at 200 amps, I don't do it enough to really notice a difference. I only weld aluminum about once every 2 weeks at best. Usually only 1/8 - 3/16". Also running helium mix/straight will allow more heat to transfer and allowing you to run less amps meaning more duty cycle. But more cost in gas.

I just got done putting new teeth on a pulverizer and some 1 1/2" thick wear plates on bottom. I used the 200 DX to put 5/32 11018 first 3 passes in on the wear plates and then dual shielded the rest with my Invision 352 MPA Plus. I just like that strong stick beginning. I did have to preheat and move a lot to keep heat at a reasonable level.

Overall I like my 200DX
    Hi Country Metals, So you do use your Dynasty 200DX for both AC tig and DC Stick it appears. Any problems with the machine as a result of switching back and forth?

Did you use the "dig" features on the 200DX when welding that 11018 rod? Do you think the feature is an improvement over the old transformer based welders that lack the feature?

I have never heard of 11018 rod, but it looks like it takes the same amps as 7018 to run, so maybe this machine will be able to take all I can throw at it using 1/8 7018 and 5/32 6010 rods.

The Dynasty 200DX would definetly be ideal for me on the tig side, but I just want to know if the stick side of the machine can keep up with the best of them like maybe the CST 280 and the dialarcs.
    Last edited by clint738; 12-21-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Gotta say I have murderized my Dynasty200, fried a weldcraft wp17, tectorch wp17, and never tripped the thermal overload. Of course the torch was smokeing and I put it down long before I would consider damage was done to the machine itself.

In fact I have never tripped the thermal overload on any of my other dynastys either.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

I would only need a Dynasty 200 DX and a MM 350P to live the rest of my days out as a welder. Period!