Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Finally made the decision

I was going the Diversion 180 route but ordered from Cyberweld the Dynasty 200DX with air cooled foot pedal package. Can always move up to water cooled later and have the air cooled for portable jobs. Getting the machine itself was to me a great accomplishment.I figured even though I am new to TIG I would eventually have "buyers remorse" for the better machine.

Question: The wp-17 which I assume is a 150 amp torch is in the package with the Dynasty 200Dx. Why would they put a 150 AMP TORCH in a 200 amp package??

I am retired, disabled Vet, and have a 24x30 shop behind my house.
    Have a Miller 130 and a Miller Vintage (great machine). I restore old equipment and cars.

Also ordered the Hypertherm 45 (65 too much for me) as I I do some fabrication.

Won't bore you anymore but was just excited.

You guts have really helped me, so thanks.

May God Bless You and your families
    Pray for the Conn. families.

John
    Last edited by JOHN1; 12-19-2012 at 06:17 PM.

You will not be disappointed with either of those machines. Good choice.
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

Quote Originally Posted by jpence38 View Post
    You will not be disappointed with either of those machines. Good choice.
    Completely agree with this post!

Cyberweld is a well known online based welding supply dealer. Also there have been many others that people recommend. I have purchased through them.

The 150 amp tig torch is pretty well sufficient for a 200 amp machine, as long as it is a 100% duty cycle one. Companies are now trying to make 60% duty cycle to reduce costs but I haven't seen tig torches be affected yet. I do know benard makes 60% duty mig guns.

I personally have owned the dynasty 200 DX for 4 years now and I have only burnt up the tig torch once and that was because I was welding 1/2" steel, to 1/2" steel, using 200 amps, 50/50 helium mix and almost nonstop for 5 hours.

The foot pedal is made from high impact plastic, I know this because I have kicked the crap out of mine getting pissed off on a job and it still works great. But don't do it yourself, its $250 to replace!

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    Cyberweld is a well known online based welding supply dealer. Also there have been many others that people recommend. I have purchased through them.

The 150 amp tig torch is pretty well sufficient for a 200 amp machine, as long as it is a 100% duty cycle one. Companies are now trying to make 60% duty cycle to reduce costs but I haven't seen tig torches be affected yet. I do know benard makes 60% duty mig guns.

I personally have owned the dynasty 200 DX for 4 years now and I have only burnt up the tig torch once and that was because I was welding 1/2" steel, to 1/2" steel, using 200 amps, 50/50 helium mix and almost nonstop for 5 hours.

The foot pedal is made from high impact plastic, I know this because I have kicked the crap out of mine getting pissed off on a job and it still works great. But don't do it yourself, its $250 to replace!
    Hi Country Metals,

Do you know if the 200DX max AC output limit is lower when running the frequency at max 250Hz?

I noticed reading through the manual on the Lincoln V205-T AC/DC tig unit that it states:

Lincoln V205-T AC/DC
    ** Alternate AC Wave Forms
    - Square 200amp max output
    - Sinusoidal 150amp max output
    - Triangular 120amp max output

** Elevated AC Frequencies
    - Above 85 Hz (AC output) the square wave output is limited to 170amps.
    Elevated AC frequencies do not effect the output of
    Sinusoidal and Triangular Waveforms.

I don't like that they market a unit as being able to only go to 150Hz AC (miller 250Hz) and then on top of that they say above 85Hz you can only go to 170amps and not 200amps when the square wave is suppose to be the setup for the most forceful arc for thick stuff.

I may never use a machine on anything ever that thick, but I don't like reading specs one place and then finding other limitations imposed under certain conditions. I think if you call it a 200amp machine, it should be 200 amp with all the bells and whistles going at max. --- enough of my rant.

Country Metals, have you tried arc welding with your 200DX ?
    Do you think it is a machine you could spend 8 hrs welding 1/4" to 1/4" plates or 6" sch 40 pipe without duty cycle limits?

Thanks,
    Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post

How were you able to weld 1/2" steel when the rating is only to 1/4" ?

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN1 View Post
    I was going the Diversion 180 route but ordered from Cyberweld the Dynasty 200DX with air cooled foot pedal package. Can always move up to water cooled later and have the air cooled for portable jobs. Getting the machine itself was to me a great accomplishment.I figured even though I am new to TIG I would eventually have "buyers remorse" for the better machine.

Question: The wp-17 which I assume is a 150 amp torch is in the package with the Dynasty 200Dx. Why would they put a 150 AMP TORCH in a 200 amp package??

I am retired, disabled Vet, and have a 24x30 shop behind my house.
    Have a Miller 130 and a Miller Vintage (great machine). I restore old equipment and cars.

Also ordered the Hypertherm 45 (65 too much for me) as I I do some fabrication.

Won't bore you anymore but was just excited.

You guts have really helped me, so thanks.

May God Bless You and your families
    Pray for the Conn. families.

John
    I am also looking at that set with the foot control and air cooled torch, as well as the Lincoln V205-T AC/DC which has a similar set (foot control and air cooled torch) but for about $100 more for some reason. Not sure why the lincoln cost more.

Do you know what the foot control of the 200DX is made of, is it plastic?

I am looking for a welder mainly for arc welding and then to learn to tig weld. Let me know how that unit works for you.

Also, is Cyberweld a well know 'safe' place to get quality equipment and not just the cheapest price? Got a quote locally and it was $3,767 for the 200DX package you got. Not sure if that is a good price, but local service is a plus I guess.
    Last edited by clint738; 12-19-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clint738 View Post
    I am also looking at that set with the foot control and air cooled torch, as well as the Lincoln V205-T AC/DC which has a similar set (foot control and air cooled torch) but for about $100 more for some reason. Not sure why the lincoln cost more.

Do you know what the foot control of the 200DX is made of, is it plastic?

I am looking for a welder mainly for arc welding and then to learn to tig weld. Let me know how that unit works for you.

Also, is Cyberweld a well know 'safe' place to get quality equipment and not just the cheapest price? Got a quote locally and it was $3,767 for the 200DX package you got. Not sure if that is a good price, but local service is a plus I guess.

I have bought from Cyberweld before with no issues and seems they get a good review.

I believe the foot control is a very hard plastic of some kind, someone else hear can advise better.

God Bless
    John

Default Finally made the decision

Great choice! I made the same exact choice about 4 years ago and shortly after I upgraded to a water- cooled torch and cooler for the shop work (either higher amperes or aluminum)
    After nearly 30 years of stick welding, fabricating with a gas axe and or flux core welding in the elevator trade along with Oxy-acetylene tube welding in the fabrication of bush planes in Alaska I am thrilled to be now welding with a inverter Tig machine in my tee shirt and cutting metal with either a cold cut saw or the PM-45 if speed is needed I now as well use a MM-252 or the stinger connected to the dynasty.
    Now to figure out how to justify the purchase of a CNC cutting table for the plasma cutter
    Merry Christmas to all,
    Tim
    Retired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
    AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
    MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrachop View Post
    Great choice! I made the same exact choice about 4 years ago and shortly after I upgraded to a water- cooled torch and cooler for the shop work (either higher amperes or aluminum)
    After nearly 30 years of stick welding, fabricating with a gas axe and or flux core welding in the elevator trade along with Oxy-acetylene tube welding in the fabrication of bush planes in Alaska I am thrilled to be now welding with a inverter Tig machine in my tee shirt and cutting metal with either a cold cut saw or the PM-45 if speed is needed I now as well use a MM-252 or the stinger connected to the dynasty.
    Now to figure out how to justify the purchase of a CNC cutting table for the plasma cutter
    Merry Christmas to all,
    Tim
    Hi Tim,

With all the stick welding experience you have, what are your thoughts on how the dynasty 200DX welds with 6010 and 7018 rods?

How do you like the hot start and arc control features (dig) on the dynasty 200DX? Do you think these features are really useful?

Also, have you found the dynasty 200DX easy to get setup for AC and DC tig processes and fine tuned?

I would be using the air cooled tig torch for the lower cost. Why did you upgrade to water cooled? Would there be any issues tigging 1/8" aluminum with the air cooled torch? I know it is only rated to 150Amps I think.

Thanks,
    Clint
    Last edited by clint738; 12-20-2012 at 12:03 AM.