Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan128 View Post
    The miller CST 280 is a great machine that the only one I have used but it has all the power you need it can plug into 440 3 phase and right down to I think 110 but def 220 the miller video is on you tube for it Good luck
    Hi Nathan, I'll do some searching on youtube, thanks for the tip.

So have you used the miller CST 280 for both the stick and DC Tig modes? How is the arc on the welder?

Do you the "soft" and "stiff" settings make much of a difference on the 7018 and 6010 settings?

I only have 240 single phase and that worries me on the CST 280. It seems like you can only turn it up to 200A on single phase...

But what happens if you or someone else helping me turns it up past 200A and I start welding with it on single phase? Does it just not work, or does it limit the output internally without causing any problems...?? So many questions about this one.

The manual says:
    Miller CST 280
    200 A at 28 V,
    50% Duty Cycle*

150 A at 26 V,
    100% Duty Cycle*

*Output ratings on 230 V single-phase are reduced to comply with
    CSA current limitation on input power cable.

It looks like on the Miller even though it is called the "CST 280", on single phase it is only capable of delivering 200 amps according to the graph in the manual.

So essentially I would be paying more for a welder that appears to be the same amps out as the Maxstar 200 STR with slightly more duty cycle on single phase..?

Is there really anything that makes the CST different from the Maxstar other than the duty cycle?

I

Lincoln is claiming they can go much higher and I guess some how these CSA current limitations don't apply to them....? I don't know. But seems like you get a lot more output on single phase than any other 240V machine I have found.

Lincoln Invertec V275-S --- single phase 230V
    275A/31V/35%
    250A/30V/60%
    200A/28V/100%

I just haven't found many people using the V275-S to talk to... probably not many on a Miller forum and I know the Lincoln dealer here will be biased somewhat.

Last edited by clint738; 12-20-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling

I've got a cst280. Nice small machine and can burn some pretty good size rod. I can also cook through 1/8" and 5/32" rod all day on an undersized breaker without popping it. My millermatic 251 with through a breaker sometimes. Somewhat annoying. I am slowing putting together a lift-tig setup for it so that I can tig mild and stainless steel. I have a torch and hose but I need a tank of argon and tri-mix and a regulator... Sorry I can't help with tig. If you get a tig specific maxstar then you get some more features than the cst for just a little bit more price. The cst is a stick welder that CAN tig, but isn't really designed for it. I would run the dynasty and call it good. You can get the air cooled setup with foot pedal for a decent price. How much stick vs tig do you see yourself doing? Mig is my go to because it is super easy to setup and very easy to keep clean and finish. No slag chipping or anything. Also, the hot start and dig settings on the cst seem to make a small difference, but I am not experienced enough to tell what exactly that different is...

We have the CST 280's at work and they are awesome . Nice for tig but our chief
    use is for arc. I have my own and love it. I do mostly stick too .The soft/stiff settings for 6010 and 7018 do really work.
    We also have the Maxstar 200 . Nicer for tig put are not liked for arc. Given a choice for arc most want the 280 over the maxstar. Maxstar digital readout is a
    nice feature along with 110/220 voltage but I voted for the 280.
    That is why there are so many different machines. You must have more than one.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    That is a true statement! Ultimately I plan on keeping the cst and adding a dynasty to the line up. With the millermatic I have that should round out the set perfectly. I can then start adding welders again after I get my cnc plasma and big press brake setup...

You guys have good luck with the lift-tig on the cst? What type of material? Air- or water-cooled torches? What type of tungsten are you using and have you noticed what type the machine prefers?

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    We have the CST 280's at work and they are awesome . Nice for tig but our chief
    use is for arc. I have my own and love it. I do mostly stick too .The soft/stiff settings for 6010 and 7018 do really work.
    We also have the Maxstar 200 . Nicer for tig put are not liked for arc. Given a choice for arc most want the 280 over the maxstar. Maxstar digital readout is a
    nice feature along with 110/220 voltage but I voted for the 280.
    So even though the tig units (Maxstar and Dynasty) are capable of stick welding, they are not as good as the Arc welders (CST 280, Dialarc, or thunderbolt) at arc welding?

I do already have a Millermatic 140 and love it. Just wish it could weld thicker material. But I grew up on arc and want to get a machine of my own now. I can use my father-in-laws Lincoln cracker box AC/DC 225/125 arc welder, but hate that it does not have a continuous amp adjustment. Sometimes one click is too hot and the click below it seems a little cold.

About 70% of my projects will be Arc welding and for thin stuff (maybe the other 30%) I would like to replace my mig welding with learning to tig weld.

This is where I run into an issue that while The CST280 is great for arc it definetly can't do AC tig and I'm not sure if the Dynasty 200 is that great for arc.

What ever machine I get, I want it to be a good arc welder that I could practice my 6G pipe and plate welding.

I think I read the 6" schedule 40 pipe is actually 0.28", so thicker than 1/4". Would that be a problem for the Dynasty to arc weld and tig weld?

My wife really won't want to hear "I need 2 machines this christmas" since she's actually buying it for me.
    Last edited by clint738; 12-21-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Default CST 280 and Dynasty 200 DX for stick.

I got a CST in July this year, used. Paid $650 for it. Took the top cover off blew it out, it looked like new. And the stuff inside the machine is impressive, very well made. I checked the serial # with Miller and discovered the machine was only FIVE MONTHS OLD.
    It is a superb stick welder, I got it because I did not want to use my 200 DX for stick all of the time. The 200 DX is also a superb stick welder, I had problems with rods sticking and starting at first but someone on here told me about changing the starting method on the front panel and oh boy, it is superb now.
    No idea how it Tig's but if Miller says it will, it will.

Of the welders you mentioned I only have experience with Dynasty 200 and the Precision TIG(although it was a 375 Precision TIG). IMO both have their ups and downs. They are both solid welders. I thought the Precision TIG was a little smoother on AC than the Miller, although consumables do come into play when you start talking about machine charachteristics. I like the miller for Stick and the Lincoln for TIG(Keep in mind I'm refering to a 375 Precision TIG w/watercooler). I would also check into the Miller Synchrowave 200 if I were you. Let me know what you decide.

''My wife really won't want to hear "I need 2 machines this christmas" since she's actually buying it for me.''

GOT IT ! Buy HER one for Christmas too. I never deprive my wife anything "I"
    want !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS